Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 88 trailboss that pretty much restoring for my fiance to ride. its got a new top end, powdercoated frame and freshley painted black fenders. i got it looking the way we want, except for the tires. i want to put bigger wheels and tires on it but im worried that being only 250 and a 2 stoke it might be to much of a strain on the motor, and will burn it out. im only wanting to put 24 or maybe 25" tires. need some input on this. thanx in advance.

Anthony

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i dont think so as at all, as long as you do not have any fitment issues. a 250 2-stroke in theory will have similar power to a 450 or 500 4 stroke because you are getting twice as many ignition strokes. plus two strokes wind up faster and are usually a little lighter so you can get them up and going a little easier

actually, im going to say im 99% confident that going to a bigger tire will not put too much strain on the motor

·
Registered
58 Posts
Being a two stroke, you will have to gear properly. (larger axle sprockets) to compensate for the larger tire size. (2 strokes must rev higher than 4strokes to produce power)i Geared properly, I'll bet that lil machine will be a blast with the larger meats.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got two two stroke machines, stock tire size is 24x11x10. I just put some Kenda bearclaws on both of them, 300 2x4 with a 36 tooth sprocket, and a 2504x4 with a 42 tooth sprocket. both of them have very acceptable acceleration. Obviously the 300 has a higher top end, but i would not hesitate to do it again

·
Registered
44 Posts
Personally I'd look into an aftermarket primary clutch kit.Most Mfgr.s will tailor a specific set of adjustable pins , and a new spring to keep the 2 stroke operating in it's optimum H.P. range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts