Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody riden with 2 people on their highlifter and is it safe to do so??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered a back rest for my 2019 and I don’t do anything crazy it was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ohh okay but have you done it on the mud and stuff, because im riding mine tomorrow with my wife same thing im not doing nothing crazy but i was just looking at the payload capacity and said 290 lbs and i know we are a little heavier than that between the both of us lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ohh okay but have you done it on the mud and stuff, because im riding mine tomorrow with my wife same thing im not doing nothing crazy but i was just looking at the payload capacity and said 290 lbs and i know we are a little heavier than that between the both of us lol
Yes in mud but nothing to crazy though

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anybody riden with 2 people on their highlifter and is it safe to do so??
Greetings to all - I am new to this forum. I have a 2019 HL 1000. QSC clutch kit and Powervision 3 with RVS stage 1 tune installed. Also outfitted with most of the stuff from Cecco. The damn thing is an absolute beast. Have been through several ‘holes’, ponds, and have swamped plenty of bean fields that looked like gumbo, with a rider on back. Have also gone 3UP (in a pinch) for very short runs as well. Tires dont really like it, but doing 40 to 55 mph on the street with 2UP is no problem either. Ride, however, was improved with the steering stem bearing clamp from Jay Parts. Machine is solid. It does not disappoint.

Enjoy the machine. Just use your head and be safe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greetings to all - I am new to this forum. I have a 2019 HL 1000. QSC clutch kit and Powervision 3 with RVS stage 1 tune installed. Also outfitted with most of the stuff from Cecco. The damn thing is an absolute beast. Have been through several ‘holes’, ponds, and have swamped plenty of bean fields that looked like gumbo, with a rider on back. Have also gone 3UP (in a pinch) for very short runs as well. Tires dont really like it, but doing 40 to 55 mph on the street with 2UP is no problem either. Ride, however, was improved with the steering stem bearing clamp from Jay Parts. Machine is solid. It does not disappoint.

Enjoy the machine. Just use your head and be safe
Man thank you so much for the response it was real helpful i definitely im cautious about it and not dumb about it, thanks for the response just wanted feedback of other people that have done it

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
“The most dangerous and deadly activity on a four-wheeler aside from riding impaired or helmetless is riding 2-up on an ATV built for one. It's not a matter of "if" you'll have an accident, it's "when" you'll have an accident.”
I’m not saying don’t, but sometimes just reading something like that at least puts you in a better perspective. At least it’s in the back of your mind!

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Don't ride 2 up on a machine designed for a single person - PERIOD! (unless you, the other person or both of you have a desire to be injured or dead) Just remember, if you do it - it's not the machine's fault and it's not the manufacturer's fault as to the result - your reward might be a Darwin Award.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Man thank you so much for the response it was real helpful i definitely im cautious about it and not dumb about it, thanks for the response just wanted feedback of other people that have done it

·
Registered
57 Posts
“The most dangerous and deadly activity on a four-wheeler aside from riding impaired or helmetless is riding 2-up on an ATV built for one. It's not a matter of "if" you'll have an accident, it's "when" you'll have an accident.”
I’m not saying don’t, but sometimes just reading something like that at least puts you in a better perspective. At least it’s in the back of your mind!
the only difference between a two up and high lifter is wheel base one is 57/53 the payload is higher on the two up because of the front rack the high lifter don't have im trying to understand your hard stance and matter fact statement and even on a two up if you go over the WEIGHT limit that makes even your statement void and moot

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
the only difference between a two up and high lifter is wheel base one is 57/53 the payload is higher on the two up because of the front rack the high lifter don't have im trying to understand your hard stance and matter fact statement and even on a two up if you go over the WEIGHT limit that makes even your statement void and moot
It wasn’t my matter a fact statement. It was from an article I read. You can ride like you want, I was just saying it doesn’t hurt to consider it before riding!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Matter of fact statement comes right from the owners manual.
E6D43761-1C0B-4E2C-B883-06C46D424678.jpeg

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does - you can make rules and laws, but you can't stop people from breaking them and ignoring them - there are always those who know better than the person who designed it.

Food for thought:

OCTOBER 6, 2010

WASHINGTON, DC (Reuters Health) - If you think an all-terrain vehicle, or ATV, is safer than a motorcycle, think again. People are far more likely to die after ATV accidents than after motorcycle accidents, trauma surgeons and public health researchers said today at the annual meeting of the American College of Surgeons.

They had information from a national trauma bank on nearly 60,000 accidents that occurred between 2002 and 2006 (13,749 from off-road motorcycle riding and 44,509 from ATV mishaps).

In a presentation this morning, the researchers said that even when the severity of injuries was the same, the patients who had been riding ATVs were 50 percent more likely to die, and 50 percent more likely to need treatment in an intensive care unit and mechanical ventilation, compared to the motorcycle riders.

There are somewhere between 800 and 900 deaths due to ATV accidents each year, according to ATVSafety.gov, a government web site.

Even when both types of patients were wearing helmets, ATV riders did much worse than motorcycle riders, the research team found.

Dr. Adil Haider, a surgeon from the Johns Hopkins Center for Surgery Trials and Outcomes Research in Baltimore, Maryland, who headed the study, said he and his colleagues don’t know yet why the ATV riders are more at risk than the motorcyclists.

“We think there are much more energy transfers when an ATV turns over, but we can’t tell whether that is because of the stability of the vehicle or the weight of the vehicle as it rolls over on a rider,” he said in a statement prepared before the presentation.

Haider said the study results are a warning for parents, lawmakers, and teachers - and for ATV dealers and manufacturers, too. People may think that ATVs are less dangerous than motorcycles because they have four wheels. But really, the ATVs are probably more dangerous because the injuries people have after accidents are more deadly.

In Massachusetts, legislators are one step ahead. Just a few days ago, on October 1st, a law took effect that bans kids under 14 from operating ATVs in that state. The new law was spurred by the family of 8-year-old Sean Kearney of Plymouth, who was killed four years ago while riding on an ATV driven by a playmate.

When a similar ban was passed in Canada, ATV-related visits to emergency rooms fell by half, doctors told the Boston Globe earlier this week.

ATV dealers often try to sell parents on larger vehicles their children will grow into, co-investigator Dr. Stephen Bowman, from the Johns Hopkins Center for Injury Research and Policy, said in a statement.

“You go to a dealer and say, ‘I want to buy my nine-year-old a small ATV.’ But the dealer will try to sell you an ATV big enough for a 13-year-old. The problem is that smaller children end up using ATVs that have a lot of power and a significant amount of weight that could cause more serious injuries if they have an accident.”

ATV's have improved in stability and safety since their inception, but humans insist on being smarter than the engineers and "redesign" their vehicles to accommodate extra people. I have seen a couch and a church pew mounted on an ATV in a demonstration of the owners redneck ingenuity for maximum fun, danger and potential injury just because they had the stuff on hand and too much idle time available. Oh well - it's not for me, but it's your ATV, your friend and your responsibility. I just hope you are mature enough to accept the liability of your decision when the unforeseen catastrophe occurs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's always the 2 up drunk wreck that messes everything up at an event.
Food for thought. 3 times in the middle of the swamp, I've seen helicopters land to pick up a critically injured PASSENGER from an ATV wreck.
Just saying.
Ride how you like, be careful, try to be safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts