Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have about $200 into a project wheeler for my 12 year old son... can’t really beat that type of investment into a 4x4 running or not (it runs, needs carb work I guess) and it’s evenbin decent shape!
I’ve been looking for parts with little luck so I was hoping for some direction. It also need new tires so I was thinking to do a small lift and step up a bit or to at least go more aggressive but I have found any lift options... any input is appreciated-what would you do with a budget beater for the kids? I tend to go over board quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
11,003 Posts
So I have about $200 into a project wheeler for my 12 year old son... can’t really beat that type of investment into a 4x4 running or not (it runs, needs carb work I guess) and it’s evenbin decent shape!
I’ve been looking for parts with little luck so I was hoping for some direction. It also need new tires so I was thinking to do a small lift and step up a bit or to at least go more aggressive but I have found any lift options... any input is appreciated-what would you do with a budget beater for the kids? I tend to go over board quickly!

What year model?
What parts you looking for?
I'd get the running/necessary things fixed before worrying about lifts and extra stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a 2000. And yes the driveability is first priority and will be assessed/addressed when I get back in town this upcoming week, he will be gone to a summer school/camp out of state until the end of July.... when he gets back I anticipate ball joints, a arm bushing and likely tie rods etc along with a small lift and tires (it needs tires either way) so I’d like to have leads on parts/places in advance as I may pick some of it up in advance

·
11,003 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I have the same machine as a project. Bought it for $100 but it needs a top end, starter, bendix and carb cleaning. Probably not gonna find a lift for the Xplorer. For your son's machine I would keep it pretty stock, not go messing with the handling of the machine. I don't remember if the stock tires are the same height front and rear or not. I think the rear is a 24" and the front 23" so you don't want to mess with it.
The tire size is important to maintain the gear ration between the front and rear drives. And remember that the engine is only a 250 so you want to keep tires lighter. Tires are an issue, but I haven't gotten that far yet. You will want to go aftermarket on the tires cause they want too damn much for the OEM Carlisle AT489 tires. Waaaay to expensive for a 3 ply.

·
11,003 Posts
I have the same machine as a project. Bought it for $100 but it needs a top end, starter, bendix and carb cleaning. Probably not gonna find a lift for the Xplorer. For your son's machine I would keep it pretty stock, not go messing with the handling of the machine. I don't remember if the stock tires are the same height front and rear or not. I think the rear is a 24" and the front 23" so you don't want to mess with it.
The tire size is important to maintain the gear ration between the front and rear drives. And remember that the engine is only a 250 so you want to keep tires lighter. Tires are an issue, but I haven't gotten that far yet. You will want to go aftermarket on the tires cause they want too damn much for the OEM Carlisle AT489 tires. Waaaay to expensive for a 3 ply.
Yep, tires are 23" front and 24" rear. The full set of Kenda Bear Claws I posted him a link to for $280 sounds like good buy for that machine to me?? LOTS of cheap parts for those machines on ebay.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
That is a good buy on the tires! My biggest worry about new tires is the added weight on a 250cc machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts