Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it works in 4X4 and then turns into 2WD after about 15 minutes plowing snow. Leave it set for a half hour and it's ready to go in 4X4 again.

Lower Gray/White wire in AWD switch has 12 volts when key is on, even when AWD is not working.

It acts like it has a tired breaker but I couldn't locate one in my schematic.

I'm new here and not sure if this is the proper venue for questions like this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey there. i had similar issue and i was instructed by old polaris tech to cut the two little skinney brown/wh wires that go to each of the front hub coils then splice all 4 ends w a 5th wire and ground that to a good solid ground. i went to the coil ground. mine works flawlessly now. i do have some charging issue though and when i went out one night a mth ago and ran w my headlights on (something i dont normally do) for an hour or so, i drained my battery down to a point where i noticed headlights were very dim. this caused my awd light to go out and i lost my awd. so make sure you have a good fully charged battery if you want awd to work properly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. If it stays warm for another day or two, I'll look into that. Here is my take on what you said; consider that I'm no electrical engineer.

Let's say that I cut the two brn/w leads from each hub and ground them, then take the other two cut ends on each side and wire them together, but don't ground them. That would keep the harness "pure" which might be important to the CDI and stator & charging system & whatever else is on that brn/w circuit. At the same time both hubs would have a strong positive ground as well as 12V. coming in from the AWD switch.

I forgot to mention in my post above that the intermittent AWD went on for a few years, becoming more frequent each year until last summer when I would put the shifter into reverse, the motor would kill unless I held the (left handlebar) over ride switch in after I shifted into reverse. So I took it to a shop and Dennis bypassed the reverse "speed limiter" part of the switch and now it just turns on the AWD in reverse like it's supposed to. But I still have intermittent AWD.

I don't know if this is related but are the fill plugs on the front hubs supposed to be turned in tight so the magnets bottom out on something? Or should they be turned in enough so they don't leak fluid? It's not a tapered pipe thread.

·
Registered
46 Posts
im just passing on the instructions i was given by old polaris tech here on the forum who from what i understand is litterally, an old polaris tech. it worked for me. i cant confirm your theory of the "pure ground" or if it makes a difference. w/ his method you have a total of 5 wires capped together, one of which (a heavier gage wire) grounds everything, and like i said i grounded to the coil mount bolt and it works proper. if there were potential to damage cdi, i dont think opt would suggest doing it.

as far as the hub fill bolts i just screw them in till they are tight

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a tad concerned when you said you went for a ride and your battery discharged after you grounded the brn/w circuit.

Thanks for the help. I'll try it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
HMMMM, now youve got me concerned. but i had my battery drain out over the summer also. mths before i did the coil ground repair. i think my issue is a bad v regulator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts