Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe someone could help me out here ok i had carb rebuilt back on and runs ok i ran it for some time maybe 2 weeks or so .I pulled plug to see how all was going and noticed it was running a little rich .Now i had mixture set at 2 turns out but now i am wondering if throttle cable should be screwed all the way in?
also what about choke cable how far out or in should it be
thanks for any help
chuck in NJ if any one on this site lives in Nj and near bergen county let me know

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
The mixture screw will not affect mixtures above 1/8 throttle opening - it is for idle only

The throttle cable will not affect mixture - it only controls throttle opening

The enrichener cable just need some free play so the plunger is fully seated when the 'choke' is off and enough free play that it does not unseat the plunger when the handlebars are turned and perhaps inadvertently pulls on the cable which could open the enrichener when it is not desired to enrichen the mixture

The mixture screw should be adjusted after the engine has been run for 20 to 30 minutes to assure it at normal operating temp, then the screw is adjusted for the smoothest idle wherever that might be anywhere between 1/2 to 4 turns out from lightly seated

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i put it at 2 turns because manual called for that any tips on how to get to the mixture screw on bottom of carb

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
The manual states 2 turns out as the initial setting - it's close enough to start the engine and operate it to full operating temp before making the final setting

Out makes it richer - wot get any richer beyond about 3 1/2 turns - if it need more fuel to idle and the screw is at 4 turns, install a one size richer pilot jet ( std pilot jet is a #50 - one size up would be a 52.5 - yes out is counter clockwise, but out richer

Motion Pro has a special 90 degree screwdriver for adjusting the screw with the engine running for about $75 - see it HERE

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another quick question choke cable should that be screwed all the way in ? and then check for play

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Yes - why would it not be screwed all the way in? Unless you are talking about the cable adjuster, screw it in or out as necessary to obtain 1/8 to 1/4 inch free play.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok got it
say i went out to start quad today throttle cable all the way in quad would not start no matter what i tried to do checked for spark and gas all good ?
so i backed out the throttle cable about 1/8 in and boom started right up any thoughts on this
thanks for all your great help
chuck

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Throttle has a safety switch in it - if the cable sticks or the carb stays open for some reason, when you let off the throttle, the safety switch closes and kills the engine instead of it continuing to run at the last throttle setting (usually wide open) - you have to maintain 1/8 to 1/4 inch free play in the throttle cable - it's one of the first things to check when it won't start or dies when you let off the throttle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so were would be best place to adjust this at carb or on top ? i see a cable adjuster near thumb rest thank you

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
There is an adjuster shielded by rubber covers in the cable a few inches down from the throttle housing - there where adjustment should be made

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got it thank you so i should put cable on top of carb all the way in? and then adjust from on top if i am understanding this right

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Pull the cover off the throttle housing so you can see the contacts inside. Then adjust the cable at the top to give the 1/8" gap. Then go down to the carb and adjust for the proper idle speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts