Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i pull on the pull corf it will pull about six inches then lock up. i took the cover ver the cord box off where the flywheel was and there was no oil. could that be the reason it will not start. any suggestions will help. i think i got stuck on this trade.

·
Registered
71 Posts
cover

I never had a 335 but I dont think there should be oil under the rope start cover. your problem could be the rope start which should be a easy fix compared to something more sinister.
Tom

·
Registered
298 Posts
will the engine even turn with the electric start??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no and when i took the pull cover off the cord pulled all the way out. i believe the flywheel is locked up. and it will not electric start. When you press the start button itll act like its gona start for a bout half a second then it sounds like something is locked. i appreciate the help ive ever owned a polaris before.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Ok, pull the spark plug (s) out, then try starting. Also with the plugs out look down into the cyclinder if possible to see if there's anything in it. I'd bet you got a bent valve. Sorry!

·
Registered
665 Posts
+1 on bent or valves in need of adjustment. The valves on an opposed twin lawn tractor I used to own made it really hard to start after about 450 hrs. Come to find out the valves just needed to be adjusted.

Ok, pull the spark plug (s) out, then try starting. Also with the plugs out look down into the cyclinder if possible to see if there's anything in it. I'd bet you got a bent valve. Sorry!

·
Registered
665 Posts
is that something i can do or do i need to take it to someone?
There is a procedure in the OEM polaris service manual (find one to download on ebay usually 5-10$).

I have personally never done it. Probably not that hard to do, just have to remove a bunch of stuff to get to the top of the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i cant find nothing under $60 but im gonna take some parts off and get to the top of the motor and see if i see anuything that looks out of the ordinary. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Spend the $60, it'll save you a lot of time and headaches. And most times it'll save you extra work. I believe everyone should own a manual on their machine,even if it's just for maintence scheduals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts