Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! We just picked up a 2000 magnum 325 4x4. This is our first personal quad as a young family. My husband and I have both been around quads enough were we feel comfortable enough riding them-but neither of us grew up constantly having them. So I’m looking for some guidance on general advice on keeping them up and running well and maintaining.
This machine was running when we got it by the pull start-and would start by the starter when it was warmed up good, but after a short ride right after getting it it ran out of gas (no gas gauge and we were dumb enough to not even look to check because our kids were so excited!) and after filling it we can’t get it to start even with the pull start. We’ve pulled enough I think the lines would have filled back up. Any suggestions? And what else should we be doing with this new (to us) machine?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Change all fluids (including front hubs, front differential, and gearbox). Raise all 4 wheels off the ground and shake the heck out of all 4 wheels to check for movement, which could indicate bad bearings, suspension bushings, or steering components. Put on a glove and twist all drive shafts back and forth as hard as you can. Movement or clunking could indicate bad u-joints or CV joints. Change the fuel filter and check the condition of all fuel lines. If any are cracked or hard, replace them all just to be safe. More things will expose themselves as you ride it, but I’d do all of these things as a start for safety reasons if your kids will be riding it.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Hey everyone! We just picked up a 2000 magnum 325 4x4. This is our first personal quad as a young family. My husband and I have both been around quads enough were we feel comfortable enough riding them-but neither of us grew up constantly having them. So I’m looking for some guidance on general advice on keeping them up and running well and maintaining.
This machine was running when we got it by the pull start-and would start by the starter when it was warmed up good, but after a short ride right after getting it it ran out of gas (no gas gauge and we were dumb enough to not even look to check because our kids were so excited!) and after filling it we can’t get it to start even with the pull start. We’ve pulled enough I think the lines would have filled back up. Any suggestions? And what else should we be doing with this new (to us) machine?
Try starting with starting fluid sprayed into the air intake or directly on the air filter - when you finally get it running again then do all the things micoviso outlined

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you do all of those things and don’t find any problems, first, call the Catholic Church to report a miracle, then grease every zerk you can find until you see old grease come out. Swingarms, suspension bushings, ball joints, u-joints on all shafts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As for the starting, it’s going to be one of 3 things, fuel, spark, or compression. Since it ran in the recent past, the problem is likely going to be fuel or spark. Latebird gave you the test for fuel. If it turns out to be that, start by changing the filter. Also, make sure you’ve drained out any old gas if it sat for a while before you replace the filter, or you’ll just clog up the new filter. If the starting fluid doen’t make it fire (briefly), I’d start by changing the spark plug and trying it. If that doesn’t work, remove the plug, ground it to the engine and look for spark. If you have a nice, bright spark, you’re back to fuel as the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts