Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
say i have 2000 325 4x4
and today was having an issue with it slipping out of gear?
was plowing driveway in nj
and put in gear and take off and then just kept popping out of gear
anyone had this happen ?
also had atv on a trickle charger to keep battery fresh but it really didn't want to start tried for awhile and then stopped let it sit with charger on and went back say 10minutes later and fired right up?
thank you
hope al you are good and doing well

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
Can you hold it in gear or does it still pop out? Transmission probably needs rebuitl, but if you can hold it in gear, you might only need a linkage adjustment or some linkage parts replaced, but don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes will stay in with holding
you may be right about adjustment will have to take a closer look when weather warms up to cold in nj right now and it's in a metal shed no heat
thank you

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good morning say is there a good way to adjust my linkage ?
maybe you know of some tips you might pass on thank you

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
The best I can tell you is to read and proceed based on these pages from the service manual and make sure there is no play in the Hiem joints or the bell cranks where they attach to the shift shafts on the transmission.

Font Parallel Rectangle Document Engineering

Font Parallel Document Circle Number

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Document

Font Parallel Motor vehicle Art Engineering

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you will check it out when the weather gets better here in nj right now 28 degrees
have a blessed day

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
28* currently? Our high is forecast to be 26* - it's currently 16 which is a 15 degree increase from 6am when I got to work. Odd part is we are having below freezing temps with no snow on the ground. Usually in Jan. we will have a couple of 60* days (I refer to it as the Jan thaw) - we look forward to it as a couple of days to get out and go riding before the really bad weather sets in. Feb. is traditionally our coldest and snowiest month. Last year we had an ice storm on Jan. 3rd that caused a tree branch to total my car and did $10,000 damage to my garage. This years ice storm was Jan. 8th, and we only got about an 1/8 inch of ice which was followed by a 35 degree rain which melted most of the ice, but there are still slick spots today. We have been below 10 degrees at night since last Fri and then we are supposed to be above 40 until Sat when it drops again.

Don't like the weather in IL? Just hang around a day or two and it will change. I've seen weeks of below zero temps with 20 to 30 MPH wind every day. I've seen winters with no snow to speak of and I've endured 12 ft. deep drifts. Early snows (1978 8 inches of snow on Thanksgiving day). In 1979 walking around with no coat in Feb. - 1980 a 3 inch ice storm on April 1st - 1981 starting planting crops the last week of April - 1986 I rode my motorcycle to Daytona, Fl the last week of March; it never got above freezing until I was south of Valdosta, GA and a week later when I returned it was below freezing from Marietta, GA all the way back to IL. I've seen snow in May, crops freeze in Sept., cherry blossoms freeze in the spring. I've lived through 2 100 year floods. It's IL - love it or leave it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i hear all that weather is crazy was warmer in dec
being 70 and having worked in food grocery stores for 45 yrs i worked frozen foods dairy and receiver loading and unloading trucks my body took a beating so this cold seems to just kill me knees back neck hands just hurt and having a blood disorder i can't take any nsaids for pain
but hey i am still glad i can get up in the morning
thank you for all you do here God Bless you

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello LATEBIRD warm day here in nj
say i think i found problem it seems that my linkage attached to tranny was missing some thing
ball joint didn't have a lock washer and nut on it so linkage was moving around when shifting
thanks again for all your info
hope you and your family are well
chuck

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
We're good here was 44* yesterday, had freezing fog last night with zero visibility, 36 is the high today and the snow you going to get on Sunday is supposed to get here tonight, but we are only supposed to get 1-2" - 60 miles west of here (Sprongfield) is forecast for 6-8 " and 60 east (Champaign) just a dusting. I'm breaking down a Kawasaki KVF750 with a rod seized to the crank and will be putting it back together next week. FUN FUN - I just finished an 06 CRF250X that was run out of oil and have a 96 CR250R that is getting a restore - motor is about 1/2 back together, but I spend more time cleaning than assembling, but these restorations pay well. I got about $1000 in the CRF250 engine, but will finish the CR250 engine at about $6000.

Glad to hear you might have the shifting nailed down - turns out most problems are simple and often overlooked during the routine maint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts