Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I’m new to the forum & what a great place this is. I bought myself a cheap Magnum 500 & it has come from a farm. The wiring is a nightmare & I am trying to tidy it up & only have what is necessary for it to run & have lights & fan. The previous owner has done a bit of Creative wiring to make things work but there seems to be a lot of wiring that goes nowhere. Can anyone tell me what these plugs are supposed to be for & can I just cut the wiring to them out to tidy it up.
Cheers.........Pete.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
The one in the first pic plugged into the speedo - the second one plugged into the idiot lights

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one in the first pic plugged into the speedo - the second one plugged into the idiot lights
Hey thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated. I have managed to get rid of a heap of wiring that went nowhere. I have ordered a new cdi as well as a rectifier as the rectifier is all swollen & cracked & the wires coming from it are losing their insulation. It’s a real pig to start so I’ll see how this goes then maybe take the carby out & give it a good clean. I also replaced the fuel pump recently.
Cheers..........Pete. 😎

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,

Still working my way through the wiring, I’ve got it pretty much sorted but can someone tell me what these wires are for, I’m thinking speed sensor or something like that. Seeing as the wiring was half cut out when I got it, I’m trying to work out how the 4WD gets activated on it I know it supposed to have some auto setup on it when switched on but is there a way to just have it on a switch, just on or off manually if ya know what I mean or is it in 4WD all the time. I can’t even start it to test anything on it at the minute. 😢

Cheers..........Pete!

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
If the wire colors are grey and brown with a white stripe, then they are the AWD coil wires - brown/white is ground which was controlled by the speedometer - grey is 12v+ which came from the AWD switch on the throttle housing.

For manually controlled AWD, connect the brn/wht wires to ground and the grey to 12v perhaps controlled by a toggle switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the wire colors are grey and brown with a white stripe, then they are the AWD coil wires - brown/white is ground which was controlled by the speedometer - grey is 12v+ which came from the AWD switch on the throttle housing.

For manually controlled AWD, connect the brn/wht wires to ground and the grey to 12v perhaps controlled by a toggle switch.
Thanks heaps for that latebird, they are indeed the colours. I’ll get that sorted today, that’s an easy fix for the 4WD.

Cheers......Pete.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The front hubs should have 2.5oz of demand drive fluid (or ATF type F) in each hub. If you take them apart to clean, make sure you have the manual to reassemble. 4 bearings in each hub assembly and need to be tightened in a certain way. Not hard to do, but important. The hilliard clutches inside like clean fluid to work smooth. I can get the manuals procedure if you need it. Just have to go take pics of the pages. Torque them properly and they will last a long time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The front hubs should have 2.5oz of demand drive fluid (or ATF type F) in each hub. If you take them apart to clean, make sure you have the manual to reassemble. 4 bearings in each hub assembly and need to be tightened in a certain way. Not hard to do, but important. The hilliard clutches inside like clean fluid to work smooth. I can get the manuals procedure if you need it. Just have to go take pics of the pages. Torque them properly and they will last a long time.
Thanks Snowchaser, the manual procedure would be much appreciated as I would like to dismantle them to make sure they are clean & operational & put new oil in them.
Cheers.......Pete! 👍🏼😎

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m starting to put my quad back together now, I actually got it going today after I put a new coil in it. It still takes a bit of winding over to start so I don’t know what’s going on there. I pulled the carby & stripped it down for a good cleanup, it was a bit gunky in there.
I’ve got a question though, it looks like a large breather hole on top of the drive cover & another one below the starter motor. Where are these supposed to go as it never had anything on it when I got the quad. Any help is appreciated guys.
Cheers.........Pete.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for that sir, so they don’t really go anywhere, they are just for air flow.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
For cooling the belt and clutches and keeping water out in the process

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the reply & all your help. I appreciate it very much.
Cheers.......Pete.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts