Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK let me see if i can explain this. First off i have a new battery. With the engine off i have 13 volts. With the engine idle i have 13 volts for about 4 minutes then the volts drop quickly all the way to about 6 volts, if i rev the motor it will read back up to 12 volts. I tried the same test with the red wire off the regulator which runs to the battery for charging and the same thing, but of course when i rev the motor the volts wont go back up like it should. Also i checked all the wires at the regulator and they looked fine. The other crazy thing is when its idling and it is down to 6 volts if i shut the motor of the battery will climb right back up to 13 volts with motor off. I am so confused please help if you can, I think it might be a short but not sure.
THANK YOU

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Ohm test your stator cold and again immediately after the voltage drops off. If that tests goods both ways then it's most likely the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just had to replace mine on a 2001 Magnum 500 HDS. When I pulled out the old one is was swollen up. Brought an EBay cheapie and it hasn't missed a beat since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts