Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2000 polaris scrambler 400 2-stroke. I need a little help with my counter balance oil. Just got This 4 wheeler and dont have a service manual yet. Im looking for the counter balance oil dip stick and drain plug. Also how much and what kind of oil should be added to this.

Also are there and other oils i should inspect and change (ie: tranny and all that good stuff0? Any help and input would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
the counterbalance dipstick-fiil tube is at the rear of the engine. it looks like a fitting that has no earthly business on a motor and you may have to take the air breather assy. off to get to it.
the counter balance drain plug is on the front bottom side of the engine.
it holds about 4and a half ounces and polaris specifies 10w-30. you use whatever multigrade oil you have laying around

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks man. It seems as though all the oil does not come out because of the way the drain plug is not all the way at the bottom. Am i correct or crazy? After I refilled it seemed like there was too much oil and I had alot of smoke coming out of exhaust. I drained some of the oil and it got a little better but still smokes a bit more than before.

Where should the oil measure to on the little dipstick? Should it be above or below the little dashes on the stick?

Also when i changed my head gasket i didn't drain enough coolant and some got into my cylinder. Would the coolant of gone into the counter balance oil?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks tho :wavey:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Antifreeze should not have gotten into the counterbalancer but you have to be very careful with that stuff, antifreeze does not do anything good to bearings or seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts