Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First off thanks for any feedback you might have with my issue.

I just picked up a 2000 scrambler 4x4 cheap, it had been sitting for 3 years and previous owner stated it had an issue with "throttle". I'm not too mechanically inclined but I had a friend who is check it out and I bought it.

Changed the battery, pulled the carb as it would start but wouldn't continue running and die. Ordered another throttle cable and changed that out, changed the spark plug, cleaned the carb and put it back in (mixed up the hoses and flooded the carb, waited until it drained) and it fired up and idled with starter fluid. It idled great but any time we used the throttle it would sputter and die.

We emptied the gas and changed it to ethanol free (clean) gas.

I took the carb out again to take a closer look and noticed the choke handle had broken off (closed) also when pulling the fuel line it is definitely getting fuel as fuel came out..

I've looked online and have heard these machines have issues with the cam shaft I guess that's the next move, does anyone else have any input as to what else could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I'd just clean and repair the original carb - when you open the throttle you are giving the engine air - NOT GAS - it's the job of the carb to mix the right amount of fuel with the air to get a combustible mixture. The carb is not mixing enough fuel with the air to keep the engine running. Just repair the carb - a thorough cleaning and re-calibration is probably all that's needed (along with repairing the enrichener)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts