Polaris ATV Forum banner

2000 Polaris Scrambler Gas Tank Leak....

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  polman500 
#1 ·
I've searched a few different forums, and cant find the exact same issue, so I thought I would throw in up here.

I have replaced my petcock 3 times, and I have the same issue, it seems my tank is leaking "around" the petcock seal, and the rubber seal embedded in the tank doesn't seem to be doing its job.

Most parts fische diagrams show this, maybe, as item 27, but no availability.

Any other riders have this same issue? Could it be something else. If I turn the petcock to the off position, the gas will leak out from the bottom.

TIA

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks LateBird, agree on the tank, I grabbed the pic from Ebay to get my point across.

As for the seal, the one I am thinking is the issue is the rubber seal embedded in the tank, I have tried 3 petcocks with 3 new cork seals, and the tank still leaks.

The reason I feel that it is this seal, Ill try to get a better pic of the actual tank, is that the seal is compressed down further than the threaded inserts that hold the petcock, not giving me a good seal between the cork petcock gasket and the rubber tank gasket.

#6 ·
Petcock part number 7052190 - gasket part number 5810859

My first thought is the petcock is over tightened to the tank splitting the gasket - second thought is the threaded inserts in the tank have loosened or pulled through from over tightening - third thought is the plastic of the tank has distorted or swelled from exposure to ethanol blended fuel.

So after examination, what is your diagnosis?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.