Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im new to the site. I'm looking at buying this 2000 Polaris sportsman 500 2 stroke , and i really don't know to much about 2 strokes other than weed eaters. there gone let me get it for $1000 so I'm pretty sure its a good deal because Ive test drove it and the thing runs great and sounds good but i was wondering if anybody had any info about it or similar machines, what to look for to go wrong or perks and disadvantages. anything to help me out with my decision would be appreciated. and does anyone know what all years Polaris made a 2 stroke sportsman because i haven't been able to find anything on the internet about them. and any websites or anything i can read about them.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
37 Posts
two stokes typically don't last as long but have quick acceleration. If it idles really well , than compression sould be good. sounds like a good deal. I had a 98 exporler 400 2 stroke. did 65mph. but didn't have low end torque at idle(for mud) because it was a two stoke

·
Registered
421 Posts
iv never heard of a 2000 sportsman 2stroke. think the last 2 stroke sportsman was about 95 or so. id get the vin off of it and bring it to a dealer. as i think the engine has been changed or something. in 2000 there were only 2 sportsmans made. a 500 and a 335. both were 4 stroke.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had two of the two stroke polaris machines and gotta say that of any two stroke of any kind that I have had, Polaris' machines are just built better. One of them had over 4500 miles on it and still ran like brand new and would spank most other fourwheelers.

Chuck is right though, I currently am parting out a 2000 sportsman 500. It is a 4 stroke.

Here's a vid of the last 2-stroke polaris I had. Man that thing was awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XycnpvbZZt0

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i appriciate all the info from all of you. im goin to look at it again this evening so ill get the vin and get it ran Tuesday. but really unless the guy just gave me the wrong year i dont see how it could be a motor swap it has all the 2 stroke vinyls on the body and a factory 2stroke oil cap made into the fender, and it has a sticker explaining some kind of auto oil gas mixer, ill get as much info on it as i can today and post everything i find out, and ill try to get some pics, but other than that, when i test drove it, the battery was dead so i had to pull start it, and the thing fired off on the 1st pull. it sputtered a lil bit when i reversed out the garage and i stopped put it in nuetral and reved it a lil bit and put it in high and took off and the it never sputtered again just went, and man it went fast, but it had a smooth strong idle and everything.

·
Registered
421 Posts
if it has steel racks its round a 95 or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i got the vin ran at the polaris dealership and all the numbers matched wat it is sportsman 500 2 stroke, he guy at the dealership said they must of special ordered it or something bc he didnt think they made them production that year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
special engine watch out. it might be a good engine and deal. But might be hard to get parts or resell.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i would also agree^^^^^^. someone musta had money to do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah the man runs a plantation in south georgia where he does some kind of scheduled hog hunt for about 30 guys from up north so i think he makes pretty good money. i talked to him and he said he loved the 2000 sportsman when they come out and he had a old 2 stroke polaris and loved it so he special ordered a 2000 2 stroke 500 and i test drove it some more on his land last weekend and the thing runs like a sewing machine. he showed me every service record and receipt and he had the 2stroke fully rebuilt in 07 and said he had the belt and everything else and showed me all the receipts for that and he is only asking a thousand bc he got a new 800 and im best friends with his daughters husband. so i think im gonna hold on to it for a while and not re sale it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have worked on Polaris machines for over 20 years and Polaris has never made a 500 two stroke machine. They have made 3 different 500 4 stroke engines. Even the 2 stroke 400 motor with a big bore is only a 440. If they made a special build they would have information available for dealers so that they could get parts for them and service them correctly. Not trying to start anything here just stating facts. Polaris did make a 500 two stoke twin cylinder snowmobile motor in 3 different versions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
u know wat u know i respect that. im just sayin i dont know much about them at all, but it has a 2stroke 500 sportsman sticker on it, it has no ho on the sticker or anything and the only thing i asked the dealership was wat the vin was and they said it was a sportsman 500 2stroke and that it was xtremely rare. im goin to keep tryin to get info on it but it looks real.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If by chance there is a rare 500 two stroke that would be awesome I would be all for that. My only question is where do you get parts? What is the serial and model number? What is the motor serial number? Not trying to start anything just trying to help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts