Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I started my sportsman and was doing some yard work with the trailer behind. Suddenly the antifreeze overflow was squirting antifreeze out the top and I noticed the radiator fan wasn't coming on. I quickly shut it down. When I let it cool, and then now I try to turn the key, no lights come on and I can't use the electric start. I can pull start it, but I'm assuming it will overheat again if I let it run too long without the fan coming on.

Here is a list of what suddenly no longer works that is electrical:

1) Ignition
2) Dash lights
3) AWD - Light doesn't come on on handlebars, AWD probably don't work either
4) Radiator fan
5) Winch

The low and high beam headlights do work still when I pull start it.

I have searched everywhere and many people reference the black pouches under the front hood that have circuit breakers in them. I don't see those on mine seeing it is a 2000. I can't find any other fuses.

Can anyone guide me where I should be looking to find a blown fuse or fuses perhaps?
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Black pouch between selenoid and ign switch, may have to remove plastic to find it, is the battery good? fully charged?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Russ. Do you mean under the plastic hood or under the headlight assembly? Which plastic to remove? Thanks Scott

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello. I checked the fuse or whatever it is inside the black pouch along the frame near the airfilter. Seems ok. 12 in and out... have no idea what else to check!! I took the key assembly apart and cleaned it but still nothing. Something is working with the key because if i turn it to on (without pull starting it) the headlights work and the little red light on the ignition button comes on but nothing else works... no starter no winch etc.... I woild love to hear any ideas as to what it could be. There must be a fuse Im missing somewhere....

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Start at battery and clean and check all connections for tight ness, take battery cables off of solenoid and check nuts underneath to see if they aer clean and tight, then remove plastic and take wiring out of harness looking for broken wires, usually find them up around steering stem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay so I am back at this again.I thought it was the coil or solenoid because the only prong that had power was the 12 volt line coming into the solenoid.at some point someone replaced the out stock solenoid with an aftermarket one that has four prongs and is a 12 volt DC. I replaced that solenoid with the same type of one. It did not work. If I take the small green wire (coming from key switch I think) off one of the prongs and touch it to the 12 volt line then everything works.I am confusing myself at this point. Should all four prongs on the solenoid have power at all times? Or should there somehow be a wire connected to the key switch that turns the other prongs on and give them power. It must be either this solenoid or the key switch I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts