Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, first time posting here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help! My 2000 Polaris Xplorer 2 stroke won't start. It doesn't even respond to starter fluid sprayed directly into the intake. So far I have done the following:

#1. Removed the carburetor and cleaned it thoroughly (twice)
#2. Removed the fuel from the tank and added fresh fuel (even though I was confident the current fuel was fine)
#3. Cleaned fuel line and replaced iffy lines.
#4. Confirmed fuel is flowing to carburetor.
#5. Measured engine compression with 2 different gauges (115 lbs) with throttle open.
#6. Changed spark plug.
#7. Tested ignition coil output with spark tester (result=good)

Someone suggested that the crank seals may be leaking air past and causing the no start situation. Is that possible, given the compression the engine has?

I have been repairing OPE for many years, but don't have a lot of experience with ATV engines. I need some ideas on what I might be missing in this equation. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OPE = Outdoor Power Equipment

Flywheel keys shear when there is some kind of impact. In the case of this ATV, it was sitting for two or three months. I started it up and took it out for a drive. It ran smooth, no impact ever. But within 5 minutes or so it died like it was out of gas. That's when I started my work on it described above.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
ATV's will shear flywheel keys when they have been worked on and the flywheel not sufficiently tightened. It's just one of the things that has to be considered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ATV's will shear flywheel keys when they have been worked on and the flywheel not sufficiently tightened. It's just one of the things that has to be considered.
Thanks for the suggestion latebird. I appreciate it!

Here's what I ended up doing to get it running again: on the bottom of the engine there is a little 10mm drain bolt that looks like a carburetor jet bolt. I opened that up and some old fuel drained out. I cleaned out the passages of that bolt. Then I cycled the ATV over to get any excess gas in the engine out. I sealed it back up and it fired right up. Problem solved.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Yeah - I kinda forget about Polaris having a crankcase drain bolt until some says they have liquid coming out of the spark plug hole, then I tell them to remove the drain bolt and let the gas out of the crankcase - when drained, the throttle still needs to be held wide open until any excess fuel has been expelled. Shutting the fuel off when not riding will prevent the crankcase from getting full of fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the plug wasn't excessively wet so I didn't mention that either. Just surprised that just a small amount of fuel in the engine would cause that situation. I will definitely keep the valve off from now on. Never had that issue in all the years I've owned it. Thanks again for jumping in to help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts