Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just joined the forum. Glad I found you.

I'm a new ATV owner. Just picked up a 2000 Xpedition 425 with about 250 hours on it. Previous owner said he hadn't run it much over the past few years, obviously. Told me that it needed a new battery (electric start didn't work).

First thing I did was try charging the old battery. Got it charged, double-checked to make sure it was holding a charge, connected it and couldn't get it to start the machine. There was a sound that I would say sounded "electrical" and like something was trying to work, almost a "grinding" sound.

Talked to a buddy and he said the battery was probably just too weak to do the job and to just pick up a new battery.

So, I did that. Slow charged it to get it ready for install. Installed it. Exact same issue.

Any idea what I might be dealing with? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
St. Michael MN

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
im gonna probe you with some questions here....

the sound..was it a "grinding" sound or more of a "clicking sound"?
was the engine actually turning over from the e-start?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

It was definitely not a clicking sound like you'd hear in a car engine that has a bad starter.

I was a slower sound, more of a metallic soft grinding sound.

Hard to describe, but I could almost envision some sort of wheel grinding/rubbing against something metal as I heard it.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
the reason for asking it it was a clicking sound was to see if the start solenoid was engaging or not. the solenoid could also make a series of fast clicks. if that was what your were hearing i would say you bought a bad battery. if its a grinding noise then possibly you have a bent bendix on your starter and its grinding on the gears inside when it gets thrown out to engage. i have seen a couple bendixs bent before. might need to pull the starter out.

also, i would go ahead and charge and load test the new battery just to make sure you didnt get a bad one. most brands give you a 6month warranty on new battery purchases. again, i have also seen my fair share of faulty brand new batteries. i probably warrantied 1-2 batteries a week when i was working at the shop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
After you find the battery is OK get ready to pull the starter. Not too hard to rebuild yourself - kits from $40 to $75 (on line) depending on the starter. Or you can replace it for a couple hundred. Check prices on the net before going to the dealer. I've seen brand new starters for a SP 500 on e-bay for around $80.
I would pull it apart and look at the insides. If it sat a long time and was full of water when parked it may not be worth a rebuild. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know if your starter solenoid is situated the same as my 96 425 Magnum, but in the chance that is it, remove the two rubber boots from the terminals then remove one cable at a time and clean it. The boots on mine face upward and are a bit too large for the cable. They trap water and dirt, making for a bad connection fast.

As I said, I cleaned mine and then coated them with liquid electrical tape after assembly. A wrap of rubber tape around the boot/cable junction helped also.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If all the other suggestions don't work. To narrow that it is indeed the starter you can try two things.
1. Connect power directly to the starter hot at the starter either by jumping(crossing) out the solenoid or if you have like a jumper pack connect the ground to frame or - on battery and then the hot directly to the starter.
2. Try tapping on the end of the starter case while pressing the start button. Sometimes the starter gets a dead spot preventing the brushes from making contact. A few taps with the end of something solid might jar enough to reset the brushes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts