Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!

i just shipped my quad to costa rica...after all the time and effort in getting the paperwork done, i finally got it back home.

first thing i took it up the "hill" and it whined like heck...only under acceleration...once i leveled out the throttle it stopped. It does not make this noise at idle, nor is there any noise when rear is jacked up...although i may not accelerated it high enough. no noise if motor not running and rolling the chasis.

i have owned it since new and it has had very little use...was stored inside in a heated shop when it was in the states. rode it around the property once in a while by my kids...maybe 50 hours on it and no problems.

already checked the engine and front differential oil. have not discovered the transmission oil check area....nor have i inspected the belt. after reading here i decided to ask first, as seals and gaskets maybe 1 - 3 weeks away.

i have polaris snowmobiles and the noise does sound somewhat like the belt noise from them but much louder...i sure do not remember this machine sounding like this.

it runs great...started immediately after a month in transit.
when shipped it did sit outside for about 7 - 10 days and there was some rain in the states and here. have run it about a total of 15 minutes.

ONE OTHER ITEM...when i went down the hill, not requiring any throttle, at times it was as if it was not in gear until i goosed the throttle. i am from the flat lands of illinois and have never ridden it down such a steep incline.
i currently live a little downhill of a very high volcano so all inclines are fairly steep....especially to a flatlander.

i have fairly good mechanically skills but have no experience with this vehicle and am especially new to the drive train.

i would appreciate all help you can provide! it is difficult to find "reliable"
and polaris experienced mechanics here.

thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
665 Posts
On my sportsman 500 the check bolt is on the left (driver's side). I'm sure they are not the same, but are probably similar.

I read a thread a couple weeks ago about a noise like this in a scrambler and the cause was because trans was low on fluid.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Something else to check would be at the front of the belt cover there's a tab off the frame that gets bent sometimes and allowes the belt to hit the cover and make noise.Something to check.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
X2 on what factionfx said, he even posted a video so a quick search here should bring it up.

Going downhill without throttle or engine braking is indeed like having it in neutral. Need to use a little throttle to engage secondary clutch which will get it "back in gear" and use a little brake so you don't go too fast lol! Seems crazy to use brake and throttle simultaneously but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Was your wife/girlfriend on the back? :veryhappy:
:rotflmao:

Reminds me of my favorite T-shirt, says "if you can read this, the bitch fell off" on the back :biglaugh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And welcome to the board!:med:

i appreciate the thought. when i was investigating this issue and found this site and read some of the positive feedback from the guys and gals out here i figured out i should belong...i think i will learn a lot about a new passion. being a flatlander i did not have a very broad range of quad experiences....but now a couple of rides in the mountains and off road....was too cool...i with it now.

thanks for all the thoughts...also am i even doing the reply correct?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

still not sure if this the right way to reply to someone who is trying to help me...i am such a newbie here...

the whining my quad is making is only at start until you level the speed off...then it is very quiet. the whine mine makes is like the high pitched whine in the video without the gear noise...it sounds kind of like a skillsaw with a bind on the wood it is cutting...

thanks for the thought...i need to check the oil in the trans and open the primary belt area....i am sure the noise is coming from this area...well at least it sure sounds that way...guess i will take another short ride and see

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
still not sure if this the right way to reply to someone who is trying to help me...i am such a newbie here...

the whining my quad is making is only at start until you level the speed off...then it is very quiet. the whine mine makes is like the high pitched whine in the video without the gear noise...it sounds kind of like a skillsaw with a bind on the wood it is cutting...

thanks for the thought...i need to check the oil in the trans and open the primary belt area....i am sure the noise is coming from this area...well at least it sure sounds that way...guess i will take another short ride and see
You're replies are fine man, no worries.

I know that exact "skillsaw" sound.

Let us know what you find when you open it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2000 500 scrambler whining noise

i have done a recheck on the noise. put it up on a jack and had my wife work the throttle.

found that there is no noise in reverse...or very slight.

noise appears from belt area but it is hard to be absolutely certain....more prominent from that side and could not hear much from the trans.

however, one other thing i noticed is that the chain is loose...without a rider.
is the chain adjusted similar to my softail....with a load on it?

could the noise be from chain rubing against the plastic chain cover? except why not in reverse...looked like similar slack and potential rub...will see if i can find chain adjustment procedure. also there is no noise when cruising at a constant speed.

i have not opened the belt yet...want to make sure i can get any seals first...and a belt.

will also find out how to check trans fluid and do it.

thanks to all for their helpful suggestion. i really appreciate having a support group for this as i need it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

You're replies are fine man, no worries.

I know that exact "skillsaw" sound.

Let us know what you find when you open it up.
thanks for the input....see my last comments...i am going to check the chain before i take it to the inspection here.

need to have it inspected before i can have it nationalized and licensed.

you can ride them on the roads here...i am very happy i brought a quad...there is a road that goes up the volcano to a huge waterfall and over the volcano...kind of a local secret...there are so many places the quad can go...including the beaches to some isolated fishing spots. never thought i would be here doing this...there is no place like home , as dorothy said but this sure has some incredible distractions.

thanks again and i will place all info out here in hopes it will help someone else down the road

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hope this is the way to report back.

i had a loose chain...thought that was it...made the adjustment...same noise.

came back and found the trans check...no oil...i mean none...mind was racing...."OH NO".

yes we did have a winner...someone said it sounded like no trans oil...then i found a drip and thought ...crap will need a seal or gasket....until i found the crack on the very bottom of the trans case...looks like they picked it up with forklift...now i know where the fork was!

thanks for all the assistance...looks like i will be awhile before i am using this again.

will look on ebay for a trans...can get it shipped here...but triple price including shiping and import taxes here.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Glad you got it figured out but sorry it's going to be so hard to fix it. Hey at least the weather down there is nice lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
will see

found a guy here in sarchi who is great with quads and off trail bikes.

he is going to repair the case...weld it...i was very concerned let's say...but he had the right answers concerning expansion and warping..and has done many before...but maybe not a polaris...will see if he pulls the trans off but he is taking care of a number of things so it can be legalized here...found a few other issues...one still can not quite figure out...brake lights...no wires to anywhere around the foot or hand brake...no switches evident....no sensors evident???

guy was supposed to have it done yesterday and now it is thursday....i just hope i see it this week so i can get it inspected before i need to return to the good old usa.

thanks for everyone's thoughts...will continue to place info here...also need to tell all the amazing atv areas i saw when returning from the beach...went through zone norte...which is a lush green area in and among the volcano's with lots of rivers and up and down...never realized how popular quads were here and all the new areas to explore...next trip i hope the quad will be ready!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Brake Lights?
well my polaris just has a marker light not a true brake light so there are no micro switches in either of the brake levers. You could always wire them up but do you really need to have a true brake light?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
also need to tell all the amazing atv areas i saw when returning from the beach...went through zone norte...which is a lush green area in and among the volcano's with lots of rivers and up and down...

Please bring your camera along, we'd all love to see some of that beautiful countryside :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts