Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I just inherited an 2000 Sportsman 335 and have a long list of things to do. It runs and stops right now, but the front brake handle has a ton of play.

Basically, the base of the handle is about 3/4" from the piston and I have the depress it almost all the way to the handlebar to engage the brakes at all. As this is my first ATV, I have been reading a ton of forum posts, but thought I would start from scratch with this post.

I plan to bleed the entire system and replace the fluid (calls for DOT 3 and that is what I bought, although I suspect DOT 4 would also be okay). If bleeding the system doesn't fix the problem, I am guessing I will have have to rebuild the master cylinder.

Thoughts? suggestions? best place to get a rebuild kit?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
The biggest difference between DOT 3 and 4 is the boiling point - DOT 4 is higher

If there is a huge gap between the lever and the MC piston, then the piston is not traveling fully to it's 'home' position. The MC may not need a complete rebuild (if the seals are not leaking) - it may just need to be serviced

Change the fluid first and see how that affects operation - if that does not correct things, disassemble the MC and polish the bore if that does not fix it, then rebuild it.

Rebuild kit from Polaris - part number 1930799 @ $90

1 - 2 of 2 Posts