Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this vehicle a month ago from a Yamaha dealership because it was a descent price, only had 552 miles and 330 hours, and was from a dealership instead of an individual. The miles hours were a big selling point for me. I got the machine home and have ridden quite a bit over the last month. I have had to replace almost all of the bushing because everyone was rotten and only half there. I fixed the taillight after finding out the wires were torn to pieces and has to be replaced under the hood. The steering locks up hard to the right sometimes and is a pain to get loose enough to drive again. The speedometer lights up but does not work, and the hours/miles are still the same since I brought it home a month ago. I understand AS IS NO WARRANTY, but I feel as if the salesman sold me something different than what he said I was getting. He was a good salesman, just the first time I ran into one that led me to believe I got something a lot better than it was. Just really frustrating when I feel I have fixed one problem two more seem to arise.

Just really needed to vent. Wish I could have a nice ride without something going wrong or not feeling right.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Feel your pain, honestly should of bought a Yamaha, i own 2 polaris's and they are alot more work to keep up than my Grizzly was.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Have you talked to this dealer? Maybe they were turning too quick of a sale and didn't realize the problems it had going out the door?

I'd calmly and gently express your concerns and issues with the machine. Don't expect them to fix it, but give them a shot too. If they blow you off, then you're in no worse shape then you are now, and know they type of business they seem to run.

If they made an honest mistake, they will want to work with you to fix it. Time is against you, so if you're going to say something, it needs to be done the next day they open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you talked to this dealer? Maybe they were turning too quick of a sale and didn't realize the problems it had going out the door?

I'd calmly and gently express your concerns and issues with the machine. Don't expect them to fix it, but give them a shot too. If they blow you off, then you're in no worse shape then you are now, and know they type of business they seem to run.

If they made an honest mistake, they will want to work with you to fix it. Time is against you, so if you're going to say something, it needs to be done the next day they open.
I appreciate the response. I was going to call today after I finished the post, but I was still worked up. I was debating on calling at all, but I feel if I don't at least make them aware, they either did not know or if they did know, maybe they will think twice before they do it to someone else.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Not trying to be rough on you but it is 12 years old. If you wanted a new one you should have bought new. People trade in beat up stuff all the time so they dont have to deal with pissing off the buyer and getting sued. I used to work at car dealers and they rarely spend money on a used car, they are too greedy. How much did you spend on it. Did they give you a hour or mile statement? I recommend to all my car customers to try to buy a one owner private party and have it checked out first. Always try to bring an uninterested party with to point out all the bad things. Just an idea. Good luck. I hope you can get it working right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not trying to be rough on you but it is 12 years old. If you wanted a new one you should have bought new. People trade in beat up stuff all the time so they dont have to deal with pissing off the buyer and getting sued. I used to work at car dealers and they rarely spend money on a used car, they are too greedy. How much did you spend on it. Did they give you a hour or mile statement? I recommend to all my car customers to try to buy a one owner private party and have it checked out first. Always try to bring an uninterested party with to point out all the bad things. Just an idea. Good luck. I hope you can get it working right.
Didn't say I wanted a new one. Just said I did not appreciate being lied to. It wa a good comparable price for one that it that old.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Are you sure the mileage is correct? That's a lot of hours for 552 miles. I have 216 hours on mine and the odometer is over 2100 miles. Something fishy there...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like the speedo was broken or disconnected for some time. Document everything and go talk to them in person. If you get stonewalled contact the BBB, you may not get any reimbersment, but getting the word out on a bad dealer is a good thing. Sounds like you are being level headed about this an not trying throw a fit. Kudos to you for that. Hope things work out.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Agree 330 hours is a lot of hours for such a low mile unit. Something is fishy in Denmark! :werd:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think you'll find that the ratio miles/hours on most atv's is close to 7-10/1. The ratio on yours isn't even 2/1. That's an average speed of less than 2 mph over the life of the atv. Definitely not right.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You buy a 12 year old machine at a descent price and have a lot of repairs or buy a new one with a monthly payment. I find that you are going to pay no matter how you want to do it. Myself I always take the older machine with the repairs because I find it cheaper then the payments.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We own a 2013 500 and a 1999 335 Sportsman. Our 335 has had a cam put in it about 5 years ago other than that all the the bushings are good and for the most part has been a good machine

·
Registered
376 Posts
Bought a '99 335 sporty year ago for $500, fixed her up and flipped for $2k 3 month's later, probably put $300-400 into it in parts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wouldn't nessisarily say that those numbers are off. they could be but for instance, i have a 2002 polaris i got with 72 hours and 114 miles now i have 98 hours and 216 miles. Now yea, I've doubled the mileage but i also did a lot of idle and plowing etc working in the yard, that can add up quick in the hours dept.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I would think the dealer knew all the problems with the machine, hour and mileage meter not working and selling it that way is a real problem, dealers do look at the trade ins but try very hard to NOT spend a penny on them. Talk to the dealer but I'm sure he will do nothing for you.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Feel your pain, honestly should of bought a Yamaha, i own 2 polaris's and they are alot more work to keep up than my Grizzly was.

Well said and I agree totally.
He bought a used atv guys, maybe not a grandpa owned unit. What do you have to compare.
One owns a Polaris and the other has made a profit off of it. go figure

1 - 19 of 19 Posts