Polaris ATV Forum banner

2000 sportsman 500 4x4 electrical help

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Bigfoot93 
#1 ·
Hey y'all I've got a few questions on some electrical problems I'm havin with my 2000 sportsman 500 4x4. I knew there was something electrically wrong as soon as I turned the key when I was at the guys house looking at this atv. Turn the key no neutral light, speedo backlight, headlights, nothing. So I got a brand new advance AGM glass may type battery, new starter solenoid and new wires for the hot to and from the solenoid and new ground to the starter and battery. I don't own a multi-meter but I do have a test light, so at the electrical I went. I do have power at the ignition constant dbl red wires and switched dbl red/blk wires. I also have switched power at the kill switch on the led handlebar dbl red/blk again. But none at the red wire going to the cdi I've noticed. I know these atvs have a lot of problems with the "sealed" breakers not being so well sealed in the little black bags, but have only been able to find one zip-tied under the seat and I do have constant power in and out of the one. I've read on multiple forums that there should be 2 more under the front plastics near the radiator. I have yet to find these 2 after removing all but the front plastics. Any help is greatly appreciated

#2 ·
I spoke with one of the techs at my local polaris dealer and told him the issue and where I do and don't have power. He said it sounds like the kill switch is bad because I should have power coming out of my kill switch. So after picking up my paycheck tomorrow I'm going to order one. Do any of y'all electrically advanced guys think this sounds right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.