Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here, seeking answers to a question and a problem my dad and I have with our ATV. My dad has a 2000 polaris sportsman 500 6x6. His problem is when he puts it in awd, only 5 wheels spin. For some reason the front left will not spin and we're not sure why. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Possibilities; no oil or wrong oil in the Hilliard drive hub, clutch problem in the Hilliard hub, splines worn out of the hub (drive shaft spinning inside hub), bad CV joint, splines worn out of front drive unit - that ought to cover most of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input. It could be any one of those things honestly. My dad is very on top of things when it come to maintaining vehicles and stuff but I dont think he has ever done much maintenance on the atv. Obviously when something breaks he does but other than that the only thing I've seen him do to it is grease it at the specific points.

·
9,195 Posts
Check/change the oil and make sure the wire to that hub isn't broken. If you don't find anything easy or obvious you'll have to go inside for a closer look at the Hilliard, magnet and armature plate etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts