Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, new to the site but here it goes. I have a sportsman 500 that started with no low beam lights. Then the spedometer and odometer went dead, followed by the high beam bulb blowing. Also, the reverse indicator light is now out. I checked the voltage and it peaks at 16.5 volts. From past experience this is a litle high but should not blow bulbs, dont know about the sensitive electronics like the spedo. Anyone been through this before? It runs great otherwise.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will put money down that its your ground strap. Run a new one by grounding the engine to the frame. I had a similar problem before and it was a bugger to figure out. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's for your help so far. The last thing that happened is the high beam bulb got really bright then exploded in the light housing. It cranks fine with no heat buildup at either end of the ground strap. Again the peak voltage is 16.5 volts with the engine reved up but I can see no burnt wires or loose connections.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The rectifier converts the three AC-phases to a single 14.4 Vdc output, a ground and a positive. Because the stator is producing power according to the engine-speed the stator-output is too high all the time. This would mean the output voltage of the regulator-rectifier would be way over 14.4 Vdc all the time, which would result in an overcharged battery and blowing electrical components on the bike that were meant to run on a voltage between 12 and 15 Vdc.Has to be your regulator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dublduty, I was kind of leaning that way the more I thought about it. I will replace the regulator, verify the voltage, and start the expensive task of replacing all the blown components. At least it didnt blow the CDI, rectifyier, or battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts