Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again
So i replaced the starter thanks again for all your help! Now when i try to start it now all i hear is a faint grinding noise, very faint. So i took off the recoil caseing and evrything is very rusty looking and a lot of gunk and sh*t in there should that all be cleaned up? should the flywheel be taken off and cleaned up? I took the gear shaft out that connects to the starter and the flywheel and it is very sloppy and loose could that be my problem why its not engaging onto my flywheel? should that be replaced? could the teeth not be lining up on that gear shaft? or its too sloppy and loose to engage and disengage? any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Make sure you have plenty of battery power going to the starter, I've seen a loose cable make the starter act funny. The gear shaft may not have to be replaced, I've cleaned and re-lubed mine, been working great since then. Spray it with a lube and work the heck out of it. I would for sure clean up any loose rust and gunk than you can get. Brake cleaner should get most of it. Most of that crap gets in through the pull start handle not sealing good.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The gear shaft (actually called a bendix) should move in and out as you turn them in apposite direction, this of course is how it engages into the flywheel ring gear. If it spins all the way around, it is bad. It should turn freely though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you hold it in your hand by the bottom big gear so its pointing up and down like a tree. In the collapsed position, now take and turn the top section, it should extend then let the top go it should fall back down to the original resting point under it own weight. I hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts