Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500. A year or so ago we got it running after replacing the kill switch. It ran great but after some use for a couple months it got a flat tire and for some reason we just forgot about it and it sat for some time. Before it sat i replaced the gas

cap, fuel filter, fuel pump, petcock, battery, starter relay, oil and oil filter. I recently went to start it and it started so quickly and without choke or throttle but the ATV wouldn't move till about 1/4 throttle and it wasn't really a smooth ride until 1/2 throttle. it also would bog

out randomly after you came to a stop and sounded like it was getting too much fuel. I cleaned the carb and adjusted the air/fuel screw to 1 3/4 turns out. I also messed with the idle and the throttle cable adjuster up on the handlebars. It's safe to say it now runs worse

than when i started working on it 2 days ago. It takes more effort to get started and bogs out idling after about 30 seconds. I tried adjusting the idle but every time i do it'll get to a sweet spot but after driving it down the driveway and back the idle will go up and down to

the point where i can't put it in gear because the gears will grind. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

· RIP 3/16/20
3,999 Posts
If you still have the old gas in it that could be part of your problem. And sitting for any length of time with fuel in the systems can gum up the works. Clutch could be sticky also. Might want to pull the cover and check for mouse nests

· Administrator
20,511 Posts
You may have to adjust the idle fuel screw - 1 3/4 is just a starting point - with the engine at normal operating temperature, the screw is adjusted for the smoothest idle

When you clean a carb, you should always turn the fuel screw in till lightly seated - count and record the turns to eighths of a turn to reset the screw in exactly the same position as it was when you started - there is no 'set' position for the fuel screw - the engine will require that the fuel screw be reset depending on altitude, quality of fuel and extreme swings in ambient temperature - the starting point is just to enable you to start the engine and warm it up before making the final adjustment

· Registered
346 Posts
I went through this same cycle in the past few months with 3 different ATVs that I bought and restored. What I originally thought was a thorough carb cleaning after extended storage.... wasn’t. After the first cleaning, every one of them ran, but didn’t run well. Not until I took those carbs off again, soaked them in Chem-Dip carb cleaner and then made sure ALL of those little holes and passages were clear of plaque and obstructions, did they start running really well. And at this point, they all run like new. Moral of the story, a quick cleaning and blowout with an air hose won’t do the job after years of sitting with modern gas in the carb. It goes bad and gums them up, which requires a THOROUGH cleaning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.