Polaris ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a 2000 sportsman 500 that has little hours on it. Its in fairly new condition (im almost 30 and dad is in his 70's, just so you guys dont think im some kid!). Its been several years since its been touched. Last time I had access to it it would not drive correctly. taking off something felt like it was "slipping." In other words it takes almost twice the engine rpms to make the rear driveshaft turn. It would drive and go but it was obvious something was wrong. My first thought is the belt in the transmission itself. What other possibilities could it be? I know water will make those belts slip but it wasnt in water that i recall to cause this.
Im going to get the ATV and bring it to my house and work on it in my basement doing some needed maintenance. What other things would you guys suggest checking out? Brakes, coolant, etc. We kept it greased regularly. Dad is just too old to be riding anymore and doesnt have a way to even get it anywhere, so hopefully i can get it up and going. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man!
I really miss my offroading days, sold my polaris years ago. had a 425 expedition that i LOVED. Maybe i can get this one up and going and be back in the saddle! :)
Im hoping its just the belt...

·
Registered
557 Posts
It does sound like the belt slipping.I would "change all" of the fluids,filters(complete service) and make sure you clean(disassemble)the carb if it had gas in it the whole time it was sitting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will do! Gonna check the brakes as well. I think he had the gas feed turned off to it. He was pretty adamant about that, but ill give it looking over!
If not the belt would have to be something within the transmission itself right?
whats the best online place to find a OEM belt?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have always had good luck getting parts from Rocky Mountain Atv.

I also think that Dirty Dawg Performance on the site here has belts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it pull started right up. battery of course is dead. Still has the slipping issue.
Also it will not come out of gear. Especially forward gears. I dont want to break something. I thought maybe something was binding but the linkage appears to be okay. The 4wd also did not engage, ill have to check the fluid in the hubs first.
What could cause it not to go out of gear? This is if my first issue i need to address.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
come on guys! :)
could really use some help figuring out how to get it into something other than forward.

figured it out, LO was in a bind and wouldnt allow the shift.

I did get the belt checked out and it seems to be fine, it looks almost new, just a bit dusty.
As i revved the engine the piece (clutch wheel?? It has a large spring and moves inward at higher rpms)
it moved fine and seemed to operate perfectly. the other piece that i assume goes into the transmission would
occasionally rotate on its own without the belt moving this seemed really odd to me.
Am i making any sense?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the AWD does not seem to engage in reverse at all, but seems to only work while going forward and possibly only one side engages. gotta change out the hub fluid first.
It also doesnt seem to want to idle correctly when you start it up. if it sits overnight and you turn the choke on it will rev high then just die. if you get it to idle long enough to use the throttle to rev it, its fine, and after it warms up its fine. just cold starts are a bit funny.
could it be something to do with the ETC cable? it has always been a bit out of adjustment.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It wouldnt hurt to check the ETC.Did you clean the carb good?Have you tried AWD while holding the over ride button in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah it does not engage. it seems to going forward but pulls to the left.
I think the hub fluid is very low. I read you can use type f automatic transmission fluid my dealer is not real close to me...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi i have the same bike, you have to push the reverse override button to get 4x4 in reverse,(weird) but if you read all the stickers it tells you.
My 500 was also 3x4 when i got it, i had to do the wiring bypass to get 4x4, is your speedo bad? if so then your going to have a grounding issue. there are two small 2 pronged plugs under the"hood" look it up first, but what you do is you cut the brown striped white wires on both plugs, tie them to one wire and run it to the frame, thus grounding it. and voila it worked, seems to be a common issue!!!!!.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.