Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can provide.

I've got a 2000 Sportsman 500 that I started having problems with over the last month. It started by occaisionally not coming up to full speed when the throttle is moved to full when under load. The motor sounds fine and there's no coughing or sputtering or funny sounds. It sounds lik the throttle is just held a half throttle, or so. If the load is lessend, like say cresting a hill, it would take off and run like normal. The problem is increasing in frequency, to slow under load most of the time.

Initially, I though that I had something in the high speed jet, but the more I think about it, I think it's a belt or clutch issue. If there's no load, it runs fine, and if you rev it in neutral, it revs to full RPM just fine.

I'm hoping that it may be something like a worn belt, but I don't want to just start shotgunning parts. Has anyone run into this problem before?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
10,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
2004 Sportsman 700, 2004 Scrambler 500, Various Others.
1,015 Posts
Check air and fuel filter, then clean carb.

Reactions: zipper77

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
Hey. Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can provide.

I've got a 2000 Sportsman 500 that I started having problems with over the last month. It started by occaisionally not coming up to full speed when the throttle is moved to full when under load. The motor sounds fine and there's no coughing or sputtering or funny sounds. It sounds lik the throttle is just held a half throttle, or so. If the load is lessend, like say cresting a hill, it would take off and run like normal. The problem is increasing in frequency, to slow under load most of the time.

Initially, I though that I had something in the high speed jet, but the more I think about it, I think it's a belt or clutch issue. If there's no load, it runs fine, and if you rev it in neutral, it revs to full RPM just fine.

I'm hoping that it may be something like a worn belt, but I don't want to just start shotgunning parts. Has anyone run into this problem before?

Thanks,

Jim
Last one I had that problem with was a secondary clutch that refused to open fully - serviced it and all was fine again.

·
Registered
97 Polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 Indepedent shaft drive, 2000 Honda 450S foreman
389 Posts
Last one I had that problem with was a secondary clutch that refused to open fully - serviced it and all was fine again.
Agreed, I had my secondary also stuck closed, bought the tool for the enormous C ring holding it together, spun the pucks and cleaned and scotch brite the sheaves on primary and secondary. Make sure ur clutches are aligned also and once that secondary is able to function it opens as speed increases, primary does opposite, it gets tighter on the belt and raises in the clutch sheaves. Get that straight and ir speed will ne back to “ goddamn I didn’t know polaris went this fast “ lol I had mine up tp 71 other day ans was absolutely terrified that it’s even able to go that fast

·
Premium Member
2004 Sportsman 700, 2004 Scrambler 500, Various Others.
1,015 Posts
I guess I missed the part that the engine didn’t sounds like it was bogging. I would guess clutches as well.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Lol, i did. I was thinking of another conversation missed it, but also I’ve hsd mine sound like it’s WOT and just peak @ half throttle n not rev any higher and thts when my
Secondary was stuck closed, no clutching then rpms can’t raise if belt doesn’t slip?? Am I correct in that assumption lol bc it sounds really intelligent as im typing it 😂

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's pretty darn impressive.

My 2020 850 tops out at around 73mph (per GPS, not speedo)with a stage 1 flash.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Mine was based om my tomtom i mounted in pod don’t have a speedometer im going to say it’s about five mph off on the lower side

1 - 10 of 10 Posts