Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Post, been searching for a while without much luck. So I bought this ATV at an auction and it woundn't rev up at all. I replaced the BAD cam (thanks to this site), now it goes faster (about 40mph, but takes a while to get there) and runs better, but it still doesn't seem to rev up very much while riding it down the road in high gear. It seems to rev up good while in neutral, and in low gear there's a delay but then seems to rev up higher in pulses (if that makes sense). I replaced the air filter without any improvment, I tried running it WITHOUT the airbox and it seems much better, I'm at a loss. please help. Thanks

·
12,002 Posts
If it revs good in N then its probably not engine related. Sounds like it may need the clutches disassembled, cleaned and possibly repaired. Sticky inefficient clutches will drain your power. Also, does it have over sized/heavy tires?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tires are stock size ITP mud lites. I'll have to look into the clutches, just hoping for soemthing simple before tearing into it more. Never worked on anything with clutches like this before, I'll have to do some reading up on how to do it.

I just confused me if it rev'd up better while riding by taking the air filter box off?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I would start with a really good complete carb cleaning as that's likely the reason it runs beter without the air box. Then check your clutches and belt. If the power feels on and off your belt is likely hourglassed and causing that. But your lack of acceleration is likely in worn out clutch parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:
So I took the carb all apart and it was the cleanest I've ever seen a carb, the only thing is all the jets are the right size except for the Jet Needle says "Y237" on it, instead of "4HB41-3" like the manual says it should, but I can't find out if a "Y237" needle is just a superceeded number or from an aftermarket kit?

It still won't rev up past a couple thousand RPM in high gear with the air box on. If I take the Air box off it runs great, or if I put it in low gear it'll hesitate in the midrange RPM and then rev to redline. What can this mean? Please Help

I haven't looked at the clutches yet, could that be it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
is there buttons in the EBS models? Mine says "EBS" on the clutch cover. On the parts fische it show's 2 different driven clutch setups, I'm not sure which on is mine, how do you tell?

And would that cause it to not rev up in high, but rev to redline in low and in neutral? And the weirdest part, it'll run great and rev up fully and smoothly in high gear when I take all the air box and tube off?

I just wish I could ride it without any of air box or tubes, but I'd be scared of getting dirt in the motor. I've never had this much of a problem with an engine before, it's driving me nuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts