Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Sportsman 500 HO the AWD is not working the AWD light is not even come on. Checked brown wires and still nothing, not sure what the black wire does going to the AWD switch? If anyone has any suggestion it would be great thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have put it in gear and the AWD light as never came on, and no I hve never had all the wheels off the ground. Should there be power going to the AWD switch?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I think that year but not sure..the light was part of the circuit..the revised it later on..but any ways if the light goes out or dead the circuit is broken....there is a fix for it....i seen it here or on ATV connection....it was splicing some wires ..I think the brown ones an adding a ground....was very simple....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awd

OK this is what I have done and found out. I have jack the bike up. When I turn the key on I notice that the speedo jump up and down. I put in forward gear then turn AWD switch on then rev the engine up. The AWD light does not come on, but when I rev the engine up the front left wheel engages for a minute then kick out. The front right does nothing. Now from what I have read so far on this forum there can be a few things that could cause this. But what should I try first? ANY help thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had that problem to, went to the dealer and he said that the gear sensor has to work, mine dint, so im ordering one tonight to see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
First things first:

Change out the fluid in the front hubs. This solves most issues.

If that doesn't work take apart each hub and inspect the armature plate for flatness. You can also check the magnets. You can check the pull buy putting 12 volts to the wires that run to each hub. the armature plate should be so solid you have a tough time turning it with your hand. I have an 01 and one of my magnets was weak. The wires are in the headlight pod and have a plastic clip. there should be one from each side. Does not matte what side you put the poss and neg to. You can also do this with the quad in the air and switch on. when you turn switch off it should make armature plates basically fall off.

Report back your findings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AWD still not working

Ok I haven't work on my Sportsman for few day's. Question is the brown wire coming from the ignition a positive ground or a negative ground or what? Reason I ask my speedo goes crazy when I first start the bike up then it will settle down. It act's like there is a ground problem. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
90 Posts
4X4 Light

mine wont light up ether on a 2000 sportsman but lifting off the groung 4wd works , it could be the shifter? , this seems to be a problem with the 2000's , hope you find the problem this might help some others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still having AWD problems

Ok it as been a while that I have been out in the garage its been to cold. I was out there today. I check my wiring going to the AWD switch and I am getting power bit my light in not coming on. When I fire the bike up and put into gear then put the AWD switch on light does not come. When I reef the engine up the left front wheel kick in for few sec, then out the right never kick in. I tried turning the AWD switch off and reef the engine up the front left still kicks in for a few sec, not sure why.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having the same problem.
2004 ATP 500
I have a feeling i probably took on water late in the fall, have the fluid to change it
just don't have the place to do it (over 2' of snow in parts of my yard)
If anyone has any luck, LET US KNOW!!! Driving me insane

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
My bet is bad shifter switch, take front cover off so you can get to circuit board, find a terminal that hot when key is on, get some spade connectors come from that hot terminal to both wires with the red stripe on them going to the hubs, awd switch will still turn it on and off, just bypassed shifter switch, all brown wires are grounds on Polaris.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK I know its been a while sence I have been on here, but I still have the same problem and now we have snow on the ground. I know my speedo does not work right. It would jumped up and down the go back to zero. and not work. So I think it won't let the AWD work. So I bought a new Hall sensor and put it on and now the speedo stays pegged out all the way to the top. and the ATV Idles hi. And still no AWD check all fluids are good. Does anyone have any answer that could help?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts