Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Sportsman 500 with EBS that has a whopping 300 miles on it. The drive clutch has a near 1/4" crack in the sheave closest to the engine and swallowed the belt that was put in last year at the dealer as part of a complete maintenance I had done. There are no grooves worn into the sheaves, they are smooth except a crack from the top which is near a 1/4" at the outside going all the way to the inside. Which is how I found your site as I was searching for remedies (OEM or aftermarket). I am sure there are options I just have been out for a while and don't know what is interchangeable and what is available. I use to work as a mechanic and had more time right now so I thought I would just fix it myself. I did find Aaen offers a Comet but it says racing clutch and I dont plan on racing my tank. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. If you know where good rebuilt parts or like new used that would help too. BTW what causes this to happen???

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can you post any pics. This is really unusual. Sorry to hear this with only 300 miles....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Can you post any pics. This is really unusual. Sorry to hear this with only 300 miles....
not really i have 6 cracked ones at the shop, hot aluminum and water dont mix

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thats a big negative if you think you can run that clutch. I will try and post a picture of what the sheaves can do to your ankle and leg when a piece decides to come apart. Not good. That is the worst crack I have seen in a clutch and still together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts