Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys and gals I had to drill the broken screws out of the hubs bothside so I tighten down the caps on the hubs and retap in the process I replaced the armature ring the spring on the hillard cluch put it back together added new fluid (demand Drive) and tested it with a jack lifted it up and now one of the front wheels wont engage i'm sure? both worked before cause when I was pushing snow both front wheels would dig , i'm asking what I could done cause one wheel not engage .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thinking

all four wheels should turn ? I was sure they did but just got thinking maybe its like a diff. on a car if the right stops spining then the start's spin ?

·
11,911 Posts
Nope, it's not a differential. It's a straight gear case. You've got something a little wrong or sticky in one of them. I'd check wiring/current first and go from there.
Did you use the correct torque procedure?

·
Registered
615 Posts
no I did not use the correct Torque proceedure I'll look into that Thanks
The hub torque is a two stage process. If the hub torque specs are the same as a 96 Sportsman 400, and I remember correct, you have to torque to 16 lb ft and spin the back wheels so the fronts make a few rotations and then loosen and re-torque to 13.5. I put a small amount of hub fluid in there as to not run the new bearings and seals dry. No point in using much as its just going to drain out.

The Polaris service manual I have lists the torque in inch lbs. I just converted as close as I could.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's

went home and tore into it again every thing looked ok so I torqued it to the Specs and tried it again and nothing , I looked every thing over again then deceided to replace the armiture plate with another new one put it back together and it works like a champ , I must have done somthing to the other armiture plate I couldnt see any thing but the second new works , I also checked the volts to the hub coils both had 12.6 volts tested the ohms to the coil they had 23.4 both of them , every thing seems to be working but the light on the switch still wont come on ? , Thanks again

·
11,911 Posts
Glad to hear you got it working right. Those hub clutches can be a little finicky sometimes but once you get them right they are pretty dependable so long as you change the fluid regularly and readjust on occasion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts