Polaris ATV Forum banner

2000 Xpedition 325…. oil leak at cooler

2K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  lateburd 
#1 ·
Latebird: Still haven’t addressed my shifter return spring, but found that a light tap on the lever gets it to shift proper. :cautious:

We winterized the property last two years.

Anyhow, noticed a whinny noise that sounded like it was from the fan. Unbolted oil cooler, separated fan and found no debris and the fan turns easily by hand. Did recognize some oil on the cooler in the upper left hand corner (facing machine from front). Reassembled and went for a short ride, still could hear fan noise. Stopped traveling and blue smoke everywhere!

It appears that maybe the 21 year old hose connection is dry rotted and leaking from the upper left hand side (return)? It was fiddled with as I was going to remove both hoses to pull whole assembly, but then found that side finicky and realized I could access the fan without complete removal of cooler/ fan assembly. Not going to pull anything apart until some verification from the wizards here. Hesitant to restart machine and get a face full while looking.

Is the pressure high enough that oil would squirt about from the return side? I suppose dripping on the fan would sling it also…
Hose runs to a metal hydraulic fitting (see pic). Parts lookup shows just a rubber hose with two clamps?
5411787 - outlet
5411892 - inlet
Quick search shows images that do not look like what I have??
Could I have disrupted anything else fartin around with the oil cooler?
Figure replacing both lines would be prudent as long as I can find a reliable source.
Appreciate thoughts and excepting of belittling comments… :rolleyes:

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Tints and shades

See less See more
#5 ·
The VIN is obscured - it is more important than the build date. With the VIN I can identify the model and model year.

There was 12 models of 325's in 2000

Maybe you have 2000 plastic on a 2001 model or a 2001 engine in a 2000 frame.

Try to find the VIN stamped into the frame and get a pic of it - from the VIN I should be able to tell you what year model it is, what series model it is and the engine number that was installed at the factory.

#6 ·
Yes… obscured intentionally. Don’t think for a minute that I know what I am doing…
here is the vin from the cowling.
Font Commemorative plaque Rectangle Number History

Here is the vin from the frame (looks like complete shite - taken with iPad).
I have another pic for a digital camera (no I don’t own a smart phone, I am not at that level yet). And I do NOT have the means to download the camera pic (no desktop). That being said, viewing the camera image would STRONGLY infer that the vin’s are one and the same.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Finally there was this identification on the right hand side of the engine (while sitting on machine). It is not a vin - not sure where to locate the vin on the engine, or if there is one. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Synthetic rubber

Latebird, I appreciate your patience with me and acknowledge your expertise as you bailed my butt out with the shift lever on this machine 2 years ago. I am very grateful to see you still hanging out here! :cool:

#7 ·
Well Well, the VIN on the frame appears to match the VIN on the sticker and the serial number of the engine matches too

Model Name - XPEDITION 325

Model Year - 2000

Model Number - A00CK32AA

Purchase Date - 4/30/2001

VIN - 4XACK32A8YB394739

Engine Serial Number - 0001512

Here's the oil cooler and lines as depicted by Polaris
Handwriting Font Art Auto part Parallel

Here's the 2001 breakdown
Font Art Slope Parallel Auto part

Mostly the same but the lines are different
Line #1 is part number 5412085 and still available
Line #21 is part number 5412084 but NLA

How else might I help you?

#8 ·
You call that help?! <— joke

What cobbled up kinda mess do I have?

So it is a 2000. But (and why didn’t I recognize this before?) the 2000 image does NOT have a fan.
My machine definitely has a fan as depicted in the 2001 image.

And the hose I need (of course) is no longer available/ discontinue.
:oops:

Looks like this may work?

#9 ·
You call that help?! <— joke

What cobbled up kinda mess do I have?

So it is a 2000. But (and why didn’t I recognize this before?) the 2000 image does NOT have a fan.
My machine definitely has a fan as depicted in the 2001 image.

And the hose I need (of course) is no longer available/ discontinue.
:oops:

Looks like this may work?
I hope you got it - I just clicked on the link and it says out of stock

#11 ·
I did not get the other one.
Ordered the set that popped up on your link to eBay.
Funny thing, when you scroll down to vehicle compatibility it shows 2001 & 2002 Xpedition 325 and THEN references it to the 2000 as an “upgrade kit”. Mystery solved.

You are awesome and I appreciate your presence, efforts and quick replies here.
Now I wait 10 days for delivery.

#14 ·
From the LOCTITE website:

LOCTITE® 545 is a pipe thread sealant designed for locking and sealing of metal pipes and fittings. It is specially formulated to offer high lubricity for easy assembly and removal. Recommended for fine threaded fittings as used in hydraulic and pneumatic installations and small fittings in general. Suitable for fittings up to 50 mm in diameter including pneumatic and hydraulic fittings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.