Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new here.... My expedition 425 4x4 seems to slip at low rpm when u gas up it will grab . I just bought this bike any suggestion's ? Could the engine oil be wrong does the tranney use the same oil ? What oil should be used ? thanks for any input.....

·
Registered
526 Posts
Welcome.

At this point I would assume your transmission is fine. It sounds like you need to inspect the belt and clutches on the left side under the big black shield near your left foot.

This kind of slipping could be expected on an older Polaris needing some service work to get it up to speed.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is an adjustment screw located near the shifter under a rubber plug. I would try that first.

BTW, the tranny oil and the engine oil are shared and the same. That's why you need 5 quarts (litres) for an oil change!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been looking for the right replacement belt for my '02 Xpedition 325, maybe I am missing something, but, DON"T see it in any of the parts diagrams.

As best as I can tell, either Polaris#3211069 or 3211077

Is there a difference be tween the 2?

Uh Duh, manual shifts do not have a belt...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the lonely world of owning a manual shift Polaris. Few don't realize this model ever existed. I was at the local Polaris dealership the other day buying oil and the service manager probably still think I am crazy for saying I had a manual shift Polaris 4-wheeler.

No belt needed like on the Magnum.

Get a factory service manual. Worth every penny.

You may have solved the problem by now, but here are the basics. There is a standard clutch operated by a special trust bearing actuated by the shift lever. There is a second clutch a centrifugal clutch similar to the one on a go cart so you can stop without pulling in the clutch. There is an adjuster screw located above the shift lever like MCSEMan said.

From manual

Loosen lock nut

adjust screw out counter clockwise until resistance is felt

turn screw in clockwise 1/8-1/4 turn

tighten lock nut

As for the oil, the engine and transmission use 5.5 qts. of Polaris PP4 oil (0w/40 synthetic). If you don't use Polaris oil you should use motorcycle oil that is safe for a wet clutch. There is usually a special section at you local parts store for motorcycle oil. If previous owner used standard car oil or an oil *w/30 or less it could have caused premature clutch wear.

Good luck,

Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts