Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2001 Polaris Trail Boss and I've replaced the battery on it two times and a brand new battery keeps running dead. I replaced the stator and magneto about 2 years ago. I dont know if I might be something wrong with the voltage regulator, cdi box, or stator again. Anyone got any ideas or experience with anything like this.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
i Would do a dc amp test and start unhooking things, one by one until you isolate the draw.

·
8,889 Posts
Have you done any testing to determine what's actually wrong or just started replacing parts?
Sounds like a VR to me. CDI has nothing to do with charging.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I've done testing and stuff and the parts replaced before was determined by a shop. Tested today and it seems to be the regulator

·
8,889 Posts
I wonder if the "shop" actually DETERMINED that the whole charging system needed replaced or if they just GUESSED that it did? I suppose that if it had a bad stator it could have taken a toll on the VR causing it to fail too. Just sounds a little sketchy to me.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I got a 2001 Polaris Trail Boss and I've replaced the battery on it two times and a brand new battery keeps running dead. I replaced the stator and magneto about 2 years ago. I dont know if I might be something wrong with the voltage regulator, cdi box, or stator again. Anyone got any ideas or experience with anything like this.
The CDI box has nothing to do with keeping the battery charged other than making the coil generate spark to make the engine run - if the engine doesn't run it will not turn the flywheel to induce voltage in the stator - the stator generates AC voltage, the rectifier turns the AC into DC and the regulator limits the DC to 14.8 volts to charge the battery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I replaced the regulator myself actually about a year before because it completely burnt up. Then about a year or so later was when the stator quit working so that was when I decided to take it to a Polaris dealership to have it fixed. It worked fine until this past summer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other question about it actually, I dont know why but in cold weather or long periods between running it I have to let it sit and idle for about 5 minutes because it won't take gas until the engine warms. Got any ideas on what could be the problem.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
In cold weather the air is more dense and the carb is jetted for less dense air (same as sea level air is more dense than mountain air). The carb would benefit from being rejetted for the colder air. It's one of the reasons fuel injection is gaining popularity. Fuel injection recalibrates itself based on the incoming air temperature (TBAP - Temperature Barometric Air Pressure sensor on a Polaris). Ever noticed that your car gets less fuel mileage in the winter than in the summer? The fuel injection corrects the air/fuel ratio for the denser air. A carb on the other hand contributes to greater fuel economy in dense air due to being slightly leaner in the more dense air.

It's not a problem, it is a characteristic. If you can't deal with the longer warm up, rejet the carb. Myself, I just operate with the enrichener on until the engine is warm enough to run without the enrichener.

It is not a choke - a choke reduces air flow to create a richer mixture and at larger throttle openings prevents adequate air flow and the engine runs over rich and bogs until the choke is opened. An enrichener bypasses the throttle and allows a fuel rich mixture into the engine without adjusting the throttle position, but unlike a choke, it becomes ineffective with larger throttle openings, so the engine can be run normally with the enrichener open, but it's when the engine returns to idle after being warmed up that it becomes over rich and has to be closed for normal idle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok latebird thanks for the information I can deal with the longer warm up so I'll probably let it be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts