Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm new. If you read my intro you know I'm working on a 2001 Scrambler that has seen a fair amount of use and little maintenance. A factory manual is on the way but in the mean time I'm doing what I can.

The first thing I do when I buy a used machine is a complete lube & fluid, filter and spark plug change. That's where I'm at with this one.

I've drained rinsed the tank with fuel & Sea Foam and replaced the old fuel.
Changed the engine oil.
Replaced striped out rear hub.
It starts and runs good.

Differential, no sweat.

Lube the chain no sweat.

Now come the dumb questions :)

How in the heck do you remove the radiator drain plug? There is practically no clearance between the plug and the plastic (skid plate?). I can probably get the plug out with some channel locks but I doubt if it will ever go back in.

If you ever manage to drain the radiator what automotive coolant does this bike take?

I've got a quart of Ford Type F ATF but can't find the front hub drain any hints?

What grease do you use in the Zerk fittings? I use Mobil 1 synthetic on most machines.

Trying to find the transmission, clutch or whatever it's called on a Polaris drain & fill plugs. I was told to look on the right side behind the brake lever. No luck so far.

I've got a shiny new spark plug. It looks like I have to remove a lot of plastic to change the plug. How do you guys do it?

Hopefully when I know more about this machine I'll be able to help others here.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know any think about the radiator but I may be able to help with the other stuff. mine has green universal antifreeze in it. the hubs have a allen key screw in about the middle of the hub somewhere. you can change the fluid without taking the wheels off. the plug was a pain on mine. I pulled all the front plastics off and the gas tank to get to it. I also cleaned the carb while I was there because it took a couple of hours to get It all apart

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know any think about the radiator but I may be able to help with the other stuff. mine has green universal antifreeze in it. the hubs have a allen key screw in about the middle of the hub somewhere. you can change the fluid without taking the wheels off. the plug was a pain on mine. I pulled all the front plastics off and the gas tank to get to it. I also cleaned the carb while I was there because it took a couple of hours to get It all apart
Thanks

Is the Allen screw on the inner or outer face of the wheel? I'm probably looking right at the darn thing and not seeing it.

I agree about the plug. It looks like I'll be stripping off some plastic after labor day. I might as well take a look at the carb while I'm in there. It has set for quite a while.

I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Where's the pictures of this beauty? Front hub drains, there's a small set allen screw or you can always just remove the cap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its probably about 2 inches from the outside face of the wheel I couldnt find a picture.... if I remember I will take a pix of mine later today

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you cant find the rad drain just pull out the lower hose and let it drain then flush it with water and put any green 60/40 or 50/50 antifreeze and when done remeber to purg the air of rad. Take off the rad pressure cap ( when engine is cold) and let the atv running with the cap off and you will see air bubbles go up. Check liquid levels before and after riding. Remember the hubs take the POLARIS ON DEMAND DRIVE fluid. This is the link of the hub oil change its from a sportsman 500 but its the same as your scrambler.

·
Registered
426 Posts
4 bolts and the whole front bumper and skid plate come right off. 2 on top right in front of the shock mounts, and 2 at the bottom are in the holes in the skid plate. Then the radiator will be right out in the open for you.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
426 Posts
I could be wrong with the trans thing but im assuming it share the motor oil. and I use red and tacky grease on everything
No, the trans does not share the engine oil. There's a separate drain and fill. The drain is underneath pretty much right in the center of the machine, and the fill is behind the plastic guard by your right foot. Polaris AGL is the recommended fluid, but it's expensive.

Drain plug:

Fill plug:

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help!

A tip of the hat to KD0AXS, 05sportsman600 & darkgoatracer. I appreciate the advice, photos and video.

M_Quick, I'll take some pics after I clean her up a little.

Next step after I finish bringing routine maintenance up to date is new tires. The bike has the factory originals and they are really bald. Two won't hold air.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Next step after I finish bringing routine maintenance up to date is new tires. The bike has the factory originals and they are really bald. Two won't hold air.
Wow! If it still has the original tires on, it cant be that bad of shape. Sounds like a relatively low hour machine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts