Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum, looking for some help with my Trail Boss.
I purchased two 2001 Trail Boss from a guy that had them in storage for about 3 years. He kept them in good shape, fogging them and turning them over. My problem is one of them will not take throttle, it starts to bog out at about half throttle. The only difference between them is one is a post 12/11/00 and the other is pre 12/11/00. The only thing that sticks out to me is the air box style. The post ATV has a smaller K&N filter, and air intake . I have swapped everything between the two and it seems to come down to the air box. If I put the pre12/11/00 air box on either one it runs fine. If I put the post on it, I need to take the cover off for the thing to run well. I am at a loss. Not ready to drop a hundred bucks on a pre 12/11/00 air box and filter if I can help it.
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You probably just need the carb cleaned or rebuilt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the problem follows the air box then it sure sounds like you found it, but, I can't tell from your write up if the bad air box makes both atv's run bad or just one of them. If the bad air box only affects the bad atv, then I agree with the previous poster that the carb needs cleaning or possibly you need a new spark plug. If the bad air box makes both atv's run bad, I would start to troubleshoot the air box

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The post 12/11/00 air box makes both run bad, while the pre 12/11/00 air box allows them to run well. I have tried it with the cover off and no air cleaner (runs well), cover off with air cleaner (runs well) cover on with and without air cleaner (runs bad) cover on without snorkel with and without air cleaner (runs bad). I had a suggestion it could be the pilot. I acquired a tax and am going to go through the service manual adjustment and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry just reread my post. I acquired a tachometer, not a tax. I already pay enough taxes without going out of my way to acquire more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is it possible that the bad air box interferes with carb function like linkage etc and the good one has clearance?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts