Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help on replacing rubber boot on explorer 400 front axel, removed damaged boot, ho do you remove axel for boot replacement????

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’m having issues removing the axle from the machine. Yes u need to remove the pin... worked in it for two hours, moved it a 1/16th of and inch. There had got to be a trick to remove the pin that I don’t know about

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Those pins can be a bitch! They get stuck in there and are in an awkward place to get to with a hammer and punch. Best you can do is keep up the rust release spray and keep working it. Maybe turn the axle and rap it back in then try back and forth Usually once you get it to move you can get it out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Those pins can be a bitch! They get stuck in there and are in an awkward place to get to with a hammer and punch. Best you can do is keep up the rust release spray and keep working it. Maybe turn the axle and rap it back in then try back and forth Usually once you get it to move you can get it out.
I’ve been beating on it for two days... got it to move 1/16 of an inch. Sprayed it PB Blaster, Beat it back in the other direction and spayed again... then back again. Finally found a punch that I held via a pair of vise grips that I was able to beat into the pin. Once that happened it was game on... beat the crap out of it. Moved it enough to use a better punch and a bigger hammer... finally success.

Didn’t want to dismantle the axle with out removing the pin 1st. Now onto the axle... oh joy...🤣

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I was able to swap out the axle faster than it took me to get the F’in axle pin out.

To the OP sorry I hijacked your post... FYI there’s a procedure to split the CV joint do you can replace the boot. I’ve done several and I found videos on YouTube that I followed. This time I had a replacement axle, so I just swapped em out. When things are slow, I’ll pull the old one apart and will replace the CV boot and grease.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Did you put a pin back in or replace it with a grade 8 bolt and nut?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts