Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I own a 2001 Polaris Magnum 500 4x4, I have been looking into upgrading it to a H.O. like the Sportsman. I talked to my local Polaris dealer about changing to the H.O. camshaft and going from the stock 34mm carb to the larger 40mm carb like they did on the Sportsman 500 H.O. He said when ever they replace a camshaft today they put the H.O. camshaft in on the 425's and 500's. He said it really wakes up the non H.O. motors but they don't mess with the carb. He also said he wouldn't mess with going to the larger carb because he has found you lose low-end torque. Especially if you are using it for work and trails only which is what I use mind for. Does anyone have any experience on this topic. I have standard size tires but they are 589's on the back and Mudlite's on the front. I am leaning toward putting in a clutch kit and camshaft only at this point. Thank you, Butch

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
526 Posts
The dealer advice sounds OK to me but we have the 325 version. I would go to the 330 cam if replacing the old one (makes it breath deeper) and stick with the stock carb in our case. Opening the valves a tad more and longer is good for most any engine. GM did this with the 454 to get more HP years ago for example.

I however do not grasp how the larger carb would cut low end torque. I do not disagree with the dealers statement but would like for some of the more technical users to touch on the logic.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts