Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will only run when I squint gas into carburetor with the air cleaner off, it then shuts off when the gas is consumed. I changed all my fuel lines, drained the fuel tank, installed a new fuel valve, it is not getting fuel to the carb. Is this gravity flow or is there a pump involved. This model has the electric choke. Any help is truly appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
There is no fuel pump - it's gravity feed - I presume you checked fuel flow out of the petcock to the carb? I'll also presume it set unused for more than 3 weeks?

Since it runs when squirting fuel into the carb, then the problem is the carb is not mixing any fuel with the incoming air.

The electric choke is simple and confusing. The choke is an enrichener and is always on until the engine is running. When the engine starts, a small amount of AC current is taken directly from the alternator to the enrichener operator. The AC current causes the enrichener operator to heat up. The heat expands a gas and the gas pressure causes the enrichener plunger to move from open to closed. It takes about 30 to 90 seconds for the enrichener to close completely. Once closed, the idle speed and fuel/air mixture may be set. When the engine stops, it takes about 30 to 45 seconds for the operator to cool. As the operator cools, the enrichener is gradually opened until it is fully open again.

The carb needs to be cleaned or replaced to get running right.

To prevent the carb from gumming up after it is cleaned or replaced; at the end of each riding session, turn the fuel off and run till it runs out of gas or open the drain on the float bowl. Use non-ethanol blended fuel mixed 100:1 with two stroke oil. When the vehicle is going to set for more than 3 weeks; if ethanol blended fuel is used, drain the carb and fuel tank or use Liquid Performance Ethanol Equalizer. If being stored for more than 3 weeks - drain the fuel tank and carb. For extended long term storage (6 months or more), mix the fuel with two stroke oil at 50:1 - operate the vehicle for 5 to 10 minutes before draining the fuel tank and carb - seal (cap or plug) the exhaust (plastic bag taped or rubber banded on the end of the muffler is adequate) and if possible, seal the intake.

This procedure is recommended for both four stroke and oil injected two stroke engine powered equipment. Non oil injected two stroke engine powered equipment only need the fuel drained and (if possible) the intake and exhaust sealed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts