Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this site.
Here is my problem, I have a 2001 Polaris sportsman 500 with 1200 miles on it. I just replaced the radiator cap, the thermostat, and the gasket on the water pump but the engine coolant is still overflowing out the hole in the overflow tank after about 30min of riding. I did notice that the filler neck(where the radiator cap screws onto) is a little egg shaped now but the radiator cap still fits snugg. I've heard that it will not hold enough pressure to keep the cap down and will release the coolant into the overflow tank. I ordered the part just to make sure this isn't it, should be in next week. Now there is no coolant in my oil, no white smoke, it bubbles out the filler neck once it starts to get hot and then stops, so I'm not thinking the head gasket. But I really don't know. I have noticed that the fan makes a noise when the engine coolant is coming out of the overflow bottle, kinda like its spinning but it wants to quit. Does anyone have any suggestions for me, thanks so so so much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2001 Sportsman 500 HO

Thanks, I took off the radiator cap today and let it run for a while and notice there were bubbles in the coolant? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did my head gasket and it didnt do anything. I just had small bubbles at the top that looked like they were just coming from vibration of the machine running

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Polaris Sportsman 500 HO

Thanks for the replies, ok so I let most of those small air bubpbles out and added a little more fluid and let the overflow tank at about the min line and took it for a long long ride for about an hour and it didn't over heat or push any out the overflow tank. SoI'm thinking that maybe it the engine coolant on the overflow don't like to be full. Does this sound like a reasonable solution? I don't notice water or coolant in the oil, no smoke or anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Determine that after about 20 more min of riding it did it again and overheat light came on. And when this happens it make a bubbling sound in the radiator?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
U could try pressure testing the system, but it sounds like a head gasket. Make sure the tsat is working properly.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
check your radiator i bet its packed full of dirt and mud.my 700 did the same thing.you will have to take it off and wash the crap out of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO

Update: Here is what started happening, the fan would come on then it wouldn't when it got hot and I didn't pay any attention to that because it worked before. So I was thinking it was the temp sensor on the radiator, so i started taking it off and notice that the connection was caked in mud, so i cleaned it and rode for about 2 hrs and it was running perfect. I would of never thought that the connectors would have mud in them. Thanks everyone for all the replys, now lets hope its stays like this(knock on wood) lol. Thanks agAin

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Also you don't fill the overflow tank....it has MAX at the top and MIN at the bottom. Mine likes to be just below the MIN line when cold. Any more than that and it spits it out.

When its hot...it should be near or maybe just above MAX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm new to this site.
Here is my problem, I have a 2001 Polaris sportsman 500 with 1200 miles on it. I just replaced the radiator cap, the thermostat, and the gasket on the water pump but the engine coolant is still overflowing out the hole in the overflow tank after about 30min of riding. I did notice that the filler neck(where the radiator cap screws onto) is a little egg shaped now but the radiator cap still fits snugg. I've heard that it will not hold enough pressure to keep the cap down and will release the coolant into the overflow tank. I ordered the part just to make sure this isn't it, should be in next week. Now there is no coolant in my oil, no white smoke, it bubbles out the filler neck once it starts to get hot and then stops, so I'm not thinking the head gasket. But I really don't know. I have noticed that the fan makes a noise when the engine coolant is coming out of the overflow bottle, kinda like its spinning but it wants to quit. Does anyone have any suggestions for me, thanks so so so much.
Hey I have the same thing, I was riding it on a -40 day and working it hard. I got home and all of a sudden the coolant started coming out of the top of the overflow. My over heat light never came on it runs fine but it happens with in 20 mins of running it. Any thing I can do to stop it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts