Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO yesterday and it was hard to tell the hours/miles because the speedometer was glazed over. The price was low so I bought it anyways. I disassembled the speedometer to clean the lens and it shows 664 miles but 330 hours.... this seems really odd considering its a bout 2 miles per hour. Im thinking it either idled a lot or was driven really, really slow. All of the body plastics are in good shape besides some fading and the seat is still good. Any thoughts on how this machine might have been used? My brothers 2003 has 4700 miles with 330ish hours.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If it's used anything like mine it was probably used for mostly hunting.

Reactions: MrEd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like it was a farm/yard machine. Very common to see that kinda usage come from those applications. Hunting doesn't make much sense. A quad idling would chase off the game. I know in Florida you can't use an atv/sxs unless your disabled and you can't hunt from it period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it was a farm/yard machine. Very common to see that kinda usage come from those applications. Hunting doesn't make much sense. A quad idling would chase off the game. I know in Florida you can't use an atv/sxs unless your disabled and you can't hunt from it period.
I’m thinking more farm/yard or maintaining a hunting lease. Either way, I was very pleased to see such low miles even though the hours were higher than I would’ve liked. I was expecting to see a lot of miles. I got the engine to turn over yesterday, start and idle. It sounds healthy and smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
I’m thinking more farm/yard or maintaining a hunting lease. Either way, I was very pleased to see such low miles even though the hours were higher than I would’ve liked. I was expecting to see a lot of miles. I got the engine to turn over yesterday, start and idle. It sounds healthy and smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here in NC we sometime on occasions retrieve game, get us closer to our stands with the aid of ATV's. Why do you think Camo is a very popular color for ATV,s Mossy Oak, Realtree, Wetlands, Olive Drab, Digital Camo etc?

We don't sit on an idling ATV calling ourselves hunting. ATV is left on the edge of the woods, walking the rest of the way to your stand. 9 out of 10 times when you shoot a deer he runs away from the truck. Main reason I bought my machine was because I got tired of dragging deer out of the woods, also the ability of getting closer to my stand in an expedient way. Most of the property I hunt the fields are anywhere from 200 - 300 yards deep to edge of the woods and I got tired of walking. Also in NC and many states its perfectly legal to sit on your ATV and hunt.
Game Handlers video of John shooting his monster east Texas buck - YouTube

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Here in NC we sometime on occasions retrieve game, get us closer to our stands with the aid of ATV's. Why do you think Camo is a very popular color for ATV,s Mossy Oak, Realtree, Wetlands, Olive Drab, Digital Camo etc?

We don't sit on an idling ATV calling ourselves hunting. ATV is left on the edge of the woods, walking the rest of the way to your stand. 9 out of 10 times when you shoot a deer he runs away from the truck. Main reason I bought my machine was because I got tired of dragging deer out of the woods, also the ability of getting closer to my stand in an expedient way. Most of the property I hunt the fields are anywhere from 200 - 300 yards deep to edge of the woods and I got tired of walking. Also in NC and many states its perfectly legal to sit on your ATV and hunt.
Game Handlers video of John shooting his monster east Texas buck - YouTube
In Colorado this is illegal. You can not have a loaded Rifle/shotgun in the vehicle ( Pistol yes). You can not shoot while in/on the vehicle. You can shoot the gun RESTING on the vehicle.
Some years ago I was talking to a ranger. He was telling me he gave a ticket to a hunter who had his gun in a rack over the rear window LOADED. Later he stopped the same hunter. His rear window was shot out.
I had a box on the front of the ATV; Used it as a shooting bench for the Tompson Contender 223 for hunting prairie dogs. I would set up and shoot for a long period of time. The ranger said NO. Asked if the keys were nowhere hear the ATV. NO. But it would be legal to use the box as a rest if I was sitting on a lawn chair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts