Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a pair of 2001 Sportsman 90's for the kids. Both start right up, idle with no issues and run without hesitation. The problem is that they smoke so bad, there has to be something wrong. I have two other larger 2 stroke bikes that have no where near as much smoke coming from them. It is almost as bad as when my 400 scrambler was sucking in coolant and blowing a white cloud out the tailpipe.

They have had the oil injector bypassed and I have been running 40:1 Polaris Blue Premix. The gas tanks were completely drained, carb and air filer cleaned.

My question is.....

Since the motor and the transmission are housed together. Is there a way that the oil from the transmission/gearcase could be leaking into the motor and that is what is burning?

Exhaust just caked in burnt oil, after 13 years?

Will seafoam mixed in fuel really make that much difference? What is the ratio?

I went to the Polaris dealer and they stated that they ran hotter plugs originally and they may help. I bought the plugs and it made no difference.

They have been ridden for about a total of three hours since we got them, so I was thought that would have burned out all the residue from sitting before.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like its time for a compression test. If your exhaust valve is leaking badly it will send a ton of unburnt fuel through the pipes, which will cake on and cook.

When they were modded for pre-mixed was the oil pump entirely removed? If not is your throttle cable still T'd into it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the oil injector was not removed and the cable is a still split. I'll test the compression tomorrow. What should it be, currently there is no power loss.

Thanks
I'll post compression when I can

1 - 3 of 3 Posts