Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my girlfriend a trailblazer 250 recently went through the whole bike new filters, gas, top end rebuild, belt, brakes, carb clean... etc i can not get this bike for the life of me to go over 25 mph it feels like it’s governed but from what I can find there is no governor on these bikes. I’m at a loss any advice?

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Sounds like either a clutch or carb issue and most likely a carb issue - generally speaking if the engine revs to a certain point and then loses power and perhaps surges like it want's to do more but can't, the main jet is too small or the intake has been modified for more air flow (K&N filter, no oil on a foam filter, running with the top off the air box etc) - what size main jet is in it? You should have noted the jet sizes when the carb was cleaned.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the engine bogs or cuts out Double check your jets and make sure something didn't get stuck in one of the holes. Happen to me. Well, I just didn't clean the pilot jet good enough, but same concept.

If the engine is running fine and the 4 Wheeler just won't go any faster double check your clutches. Make sure everything is moving "freely" and not binding. I started to dive into a 01 trailblazer trying to get it running and currently it runs, doesn't idle very well (either needs adjusting or carb needs cleaning again) and won't go past 2 mph. The clutch is seized thanks to mice and sitting for 13 years. Plus needs new brakes (calipers and pads) so that's on the back burner for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The atv doesn’t bog down and when I ride it it actually sounds like it revs all the way out it just can’t grab the power. I thought it was the clutch so I tried taking the primary off but it was on there good couldn’t get it off.

for my issue specifically am I looking at the primary of secondary being bad for could it be either

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is stuck. You need either the polaris tool or you can make your own. Plenty of YouTube videos on it. I don't know what size bolt is needed to make your own. The 01 I started messing with does the same thing will Rev but won't move. I know it's the primary being seized, the "dog ears" you should be able to separate everything without removing it from the 4 Wheeler. I could be wrong. I haven't looked into yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I changed the belt I ran the bike with the clutch cover off to inspect the clutches and as far as I remember they both move in and out as they should. Possibly the inner parts are worn out? Also, should I be able to push the clutch in by hand or should it be somewhat stiff?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not sure if you should be able to move it by hand or not. But to me it definitely seems like either the clutch isn't engaging fully or the belt is slipping. My 87 trail boss 250 tops out around 40 mph. Funny thing is the 87 trail boss 250 and the 01 trailblazer 250 both sat for 13 years and for whatever reason the clutch on the trailblazer froze up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just took the clutch cover off in neutral the bike will rev all the way out and the belt moves all the way up the primary and down the secondary however in gear it goes about half way on the front and Halfway on the rear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No not yet I don’t have the puller for the clutches. I ordered them but I haven’t been able to get them off other wise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the secondary off today and the helix and the buttons both have excessive wear could that be my issue with speed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts