Polaris ATV Forum banner

2001 Polaris Xplorer 250

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  marky48170 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2001 Polaris Xplorer 250 two stroke. I have had starting problems. I got the atv in 2002 and I haven't went through the carbs yet. When starting it takes about 10 to 30 minutes to start and every time I park it, I have to cut the fuel off and run it out of gas, which can take up to 10 minutes. I was trying to start it today, after it was rode for about 30 minutes prior to, and I had starting problems. I took the air filter cover off and it back fired and knocked the exhaust pipe off where it connects via spring near the head. It ran for about 10 more seconds and cut off, and would not do anything but turn over. Can someone help me.

#2 ·
Go through the carb and clean everything including choke. Make sure all holes are not clogged, replace spark plug. Replace oil and gas. Replace air filter or clean it. Make sure all wires are tight and no bare wires. Why do you have to cut gas off and run it till carb is empty? As far as back firing goes, running too rich - unburned fuel in the exhaust, timing too far advanced
low fuel pressure/lean fuel:air ratio can cause a backfiring through the carburetor (if equipped). If none of these helps then you will need to go deeper. This is what I go through with any new engine I get either small (lawn mower) or larger.

#4 ·
Had the same thing happen to me on my 2000 xplorer 250 this past winter. I just got done pulling the head and jug off and found the piston skirt was completely gone on one side. SO I guess I'm looking at replacing the piston & rings and see what happens. Also going to take the jug in and have it inspected. Pipe in people let me know what else I should do to this, I'm kinda new at working on ATV's. I know its bored .020, what manufacturer should I go with on parts beside polaris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.