Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Recently acquired a 2000 / 2001 Scrambler 400 2x4 from late uncle. Runs well but has seen limited activity in it's life. Used few times (<10 times) and mostly sat idle in a shed with fuel lines off. Looking to perform general maintenance on it since I'm assuming it's been a while. New to ATVs but an avid DIYer. In terms of fluids, what are the core items/activities and recommended OEM fluids to use on the below:

1) Injection Oil - Using Polaris Blue
2) Coolant - Using Polaris 50/50
3) Transmission - Is AGL the recommended?
4) Counterbalance Oil - what's recommended?
5) Gearcase - Is this also AGL? Also know there is demand drive and Angle Drive....Not sure what of the three is the recommended and when to use each...

Any other general suggestions? Greased the zerks, cleaned/waxed the chain, cleaned carb & got a new battery.

Appreciate any suggestions and confirmations on fluids.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Hi All,

Recently acquired a 2000 / 2001 Scrambler 400 2x4 from late uncle. Runs well but has seen limited activity in it's life. Used few times (<10 times) and mostly sat idle in a shed with fuel lines off. Looking to perform general maintenance on it since I'm assuming it's been a while. New to ATVs but an avid DIYer. In terms of fluids, what are the core items/activities and recommended OEM fluids to use on the below:
1) Injection Oil - Using Polaris Blue = Excellent
2) Coolant - Using Polaris 50/50 = Honda 50/50, Maxima Coolanol, Engine Ice are also good choices
3) Transmission - Is AGL the recommended? = Polaris Synthetic Gear Case Lubricant (or my choice ATF)
4) Counterbalance Oil - what's recommended? = SAE 10W30 Motor Oil (SG/SH Rated) (or my choice ATF)
5) Gearcase? No gearcase on a 2x4 - Front Gear Case (Shaft Drive) Premium Front Gearcase Fluid or GL5 80-90 Gear Lube

Any other general suggestions? Greased the zerks, cleaned/waxed the chain, cleaned carb & got a new battery.

Appreciate any suggestions and confirmations on fluids.

I use Bel Ray waterproof grease in my grease gun and have a tub of it for other lube tasks (like swing arm bolts and axle shafts prior to installation)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts