Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my Sons 2001 Scrambler 500 2x4 - need to replace the rear carrier bearings - having a hard time getting the Jam nut loose on the left side - everything I see says that comes off and then the axle pulls out to the right (looking from the back) any tricks on getting that nut off ?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Remove the snap ring and lock sleeve from the RH side of the axle - remove the sprocket hub nut - remove the rear brake caliper - slide the axle out the LH side

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Sprocket sleeve is aluminum (as I recall) - spray WD40 inside between the sleeve and axle - heat it with a propane torch and get it about 300 to 500 degrees - use a soft hammer (copper or lead) or a sledge hammer and a piece of old yellow pine, oak or hedge and hit the axle hard on one side and then the other to get the sleeve loose - if that doesn't work then you will have to use alternate methods - last resort, cut and split the sleeve and get a new one to replace it with.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So finally got the rear end apart - Had to cut off both jam nuts with a cut off tool and air chisel to snap them - Then the Spacer was frozen on the axle and had to cut that off too . Looks like the axle is still usable but the carrier will need replacing along with the bearings and seals which is a cheap fix as a used carrier is only 30 bucks - should be back up and running in no time !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts