Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a carb kit into the carb but it still drips a bit(not much) if I leave the gas on. It comes out of the drain at the bottom of the bowl. The hose is long gone so it drips on to the engine, which I really don't like. But does anyone know how measure and how to set and what the float level is supposed to be. I've always done it by "eye" but, it don't seem to be working on this one. I find it odd too, that with the new needle and seat, I replaced the seat, and there isn't any screw or anything to hold the seat in. It didn't seem like a very snug fit to me. I wonder if that is where the fuel is getting by causing the overflow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A digital vernier caliper is the best way I’ve found to measure the float height. They can be found on eBay for around $11. Make sure you get one that has a thumbscrew to lock the caliper in place at your desired measurement. I recommend getting a service manual for your year and model to figure out the correct setting. If you ask, it’s possible someone on here will have one and e-mail it to you. The manual will also tell you the proper way to take the measurement. I’ve found that on these carbs, the proper float height is pretty important. +/- 2mm has caused loading up or fuel starvation that getting it right fixed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A digital vernier caliper is the best way I’ve found to measure the float height. They can be found on eBay for around $11. Make sure you get one that has a thumbscrew to lock the caliper in place at your desired measurement. I recommend getting a service manual for your year and model to figure out the correct setting. If you ask, it’s possible someone on here will have one and e-mail it to you. The manual will also tell you the proper way to take the measurement. I’ve found that on these carbs, the proper float height is pretty important. +/- 2mm has caused loading up or fuel starvation that getting it right fixed.
I have a set of digital calipers already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts