Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I have a 2001 scarmbler 500 HO 2x4 that does not start when the key is turned. The lights come on, neutral indicator does too. There is no noise or anything when the key is turned. The quad starts right up with the pull start. Wires all seem to be connected. Where should I begin looking to try to fix this problem? I do not have a manual or anything. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
first question is how old is your battery? is it fully charged? you have 3 main componets to your starting system. battery, start solenoid, starter. start with the easiest first, you battery.

make sure it is fully charged. it is is fully charged and the quad still does nothing, then take the battery to a shop to have them preform a load test. takes only 15 seconds or so is all. a load test will see how many AMPS a battery can put out, and how well it can recover from a high AMP draw. amps are what is needed to start a machine. if the battery is old, a battery charger might show that the battery is fully charged but it still wont start the machine, and that is because the battery cannot produce enough amps to do the job, a charger only shows its volts.

if it fails the load test, you need to get a new battery. if it passes the load test, then reinstall it in the quad, and find the start solenoid. the the quad key to on, and place a piece of metal (like another key) across the two terminals on the solenoid. if it starts that way, you know the start solenoid is bad. if it still doesnt start then the only thing left is the starter and you will need to remove it at that point.

hope that helps and is clear. i will try to answer any questions you might still have. goodluck.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Hello Spanaway!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts