Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 scrambler 500 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 01 scrambler. The stator has a green center tap for the cdi charge coils but the cdi has no connection for the green wire. It is wired to a toggle switch and back to the black wire on cdi. Will start with toggle switch open but must be closed to run or all it does is idle, anything more and it backfires. After a couple days it stopped running. Starts but as soon as you flip the switch it dies. Does anyone know if the charge voltage is different for the two different cdi boxes? Seems the center tap on stator would be cutting voltage for some reason. Flipping that switch to run should be splitting the voltage. Stator still checks good so it must be the cdi is fried. Anyone else ever seen this trick?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,881 Posts
Just bought an 01 scrambler. The stator has a green center tap for the cdi charge coils but the cdi has no connection for the green wire. It is wired to a toggle switch and back to the black wire on cdi. Will start with toggle switch open but must be closed to run or all it does is idle, anything more and it backfires. After a couple days it stopped running. Starts but as soon as you flip the switch it dies. Does anyone know if the charge voltage is different for the two different cdi boxes? Seems the center tap on stator would be cutting voltage for some reason. Flipping that switch to run should be splitting the voltage. Stator still checks good so it must be the cdi is fried. Anyone else ever seen this trick?
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

From the Official Forum Greeter, be careful of the other imposters.

Reactions: ArcF1

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
Presuming it is a 500, the stator does not have a green center tap on the charge coil. In checking, neither the 00 400, the late 00 500, the 01 400, the 02 500 stator has a tapped charge coil.

I am of the opinion that either the machine is an early production 00 Scrambler 500 or has an incorrect stator installed.

The black wire on the CDI unit is the kill wire - connect balck to ground to kill the spark.

Nope - never seen the abortion you describe, but good luck fixing it. Perhaps you should find out exactly which model you have and go from there?

·
Registered
2001 scrambler 500 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Presuming it is a 500, the stator does not have a green center tap on the charge coil. In checking, neither the 00 400, the late 00 500, the 01 400, the 02 500 stator has a tapped charge coil.

I am of the opinion that either the machine is an early production 00 Scrambler 500 or has an incorrect stator installed.

The black wire on the CDI unit is the kill wire - connect balck to ground to kill the spark.

Nope - never seen the abortion you describe, but good luck fixing it. Perhaps you should find out exactly which model you have and go from there?
According to the vin number it's an 500 2001 model. My guess is it's a different stator installed. It was running just fine until it didn't. Now it runs like the reverse rev limiter is on all the time. Even in reverse the override button doesn't do anything so I bypassed it and still nothing. I've checked the gear selection switch and it's good. Time to start wasting money on changing parts.

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
What is the model number? A01BA or BG 50AA or AB?

If you choose to throw parts it it rather than trouble shoot it, replace the stator first and get the right one.

·
Registered
2001 scrambler 500 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That black wire also connects to the black on the reverse rev limiter. To kill the engine they are just grounding the positive voltage. That center tap would just backfeed voltage back into the cdi and rev limiter. Do you know why some models had that center tap going to the cdi? Both coils push 40v ac and by center tapping it just halved the voltage.

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
Model A01BG50AA

The black wire connects to the key switch, handlebar switch, throttle safety switch and the rev limiter.

Disconnect the black wire and if it still runs like the rev limiter is on, replace the stator with the correct one or get a CDI unit for the 3 wire charge coil. The stator is matched to the CDI unit.

·
Registered
2001 scrambler 500 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Model A01BG50AA

The black wire connects to the key switch, handlebar switch, throttle safety switch and the rev limiter.

Disconnect the black wire and if it still runs like the rev limiter is on, replace the stator with the correct one or get a CDI unit for the 3 wire charge coil. The stator is matched to the CDI unit.
I've already removed the black wire it didn't change anything. Since the stator is good I'm going to order the matching cdi. I've only got a couple hundred in it so it's worth fixing since I know the engine is good. Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 scrambler 500 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Model A01BG50AA

Quick question seeing how it's Saturday and I can't get parts. Do you know how the reverse rev limiter works? Does it interrupt spark or just cut voltage? Maybe I can just bypass it. I know it feeds the voltage regulator so that can be bypassed easy. I need a good drawing of the inside of that box. I'm a retired electrician that's why I'm over thinking this thing.

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
The rev limiter does not feed the rec/reg - it takes an AC frequency signal from the stator from one of the stator wires feeding the rectifier section of the rec/reg. The rev limiter momentarily connects the black wire to ground at a preset engine RPM. By-passing the rev limiter can be accomplished in three ways; one, disconnect the black wire of the rev limiter from the kill wiring, or disconnect the yellow/red wire so it cannot determine RPM or disconnect the gry/org wire (which is what the override button does) - the purple wire is the reverse light wire and the purple wire is connected to the gry/org wire via the override button (NC switch) - when the button is pressed and held, it disconnects the reverse signal wire going to the limiter unit and disabling the unit's function.

Line Slope Rectangle Font Parallel

There is no schematic of the internal components of the limiter unit

·
Registered
2001 scrambler 500 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The rev limiter does not feed the rec/reg - it takes an AC frequency signal from the stator from one of the stator wires feeding the rectifier section of the rec/reg. The rev limiter momentarily connects the black wire to ground at a preset engine RPM. By-passing the rev limiter can be accomplished in three ways; one, disconnect the black wire of the rev limiter from the kill wiring, or disconnect the yellow/red wire so it cannot determine RPM or disconnect the gry/org wire (which is what the override button does) - the purple wire is the reverse light wire and the purple wire is connected to the gry/org wire via the override button (NC switch) - when the button is pressed and held, it disconnects the reverse signal wire going to the limiter unit and disabling the unit's function.

View attachment 167848

Thanks for the info. 👍

·
Registered
2001 scrambler 500 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

View attachment 167848

Just installed the correct cdi and it's runs the way it's supposed to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.