Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2001 sportsman 400. It was running fine until the other day when it wouldn't start. I believe it is a fuel problem. (It will turn over with starter fluid, but dies as soon as the starter fluid is gone).

That would mean it must be an issue with either the fuel pump, fuel filter, or carb. What is the best way to determine which one is the culprit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can check the fuel flow. Pull the fuel line off the carb and cycle the engine a few times, if it pumps out fuel then most likely the float needle in the carb is sticking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply.

When I pulled the fuel ine off the carb and cycled the motor, no fuel came out. Does that mean it is most likely the pump or filter?

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Next pull the line at the tank, then turn on the valve. You could have something stopping up the valve or in the tank.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Go ahead and check all the lines and pull off the filter, just to be sure. If all is clear then all signs point to fuel pump. Also check the line that runs from the motor to the fuel pump if it has a crack or has came loose then the pump will not work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had the same issue with mine so i put a vaccume pump on the fuel pump and got nothing. take the pump off the frame on the inner fender on the drivers side, take it apart and clean it. i ran it out of gas and it left a residue all inside of it, just clean it all up with some carb clean and put it back together!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. It is the fuelpump. Gas is coming into it from the tank and nothing is coming out. Also checked to make sure the fuel filter was not clogged. Will check the vaccuum hose and clean the pump next.

Happy New Year...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts